What's new

do I need a 2GHz splitter to set up moca network ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hpw

New Around Here
Optimum cable line enters into a Antronix 1GHz pre-amplifier, and then gets fed into Antronix 8-way splitter
(1GHz). There are 8 coax cable lines going from the splitter into 8 different rooms in the house.
In the basement, one cable line is hooked up to a TV box. The other line from the wall outlet (a)
goes to Arris cable modem, which is connected to a Optimum router (with wifi and 4 ethernet outputs (b)).

I tried to use Actiontec ECB2500C to build a ethernet over coax in the house. (i.e I want to use the cable outlet on the second floor as an ethernet by using another Actiontec ECB2500C)

So, in the basement,
I inserted an Actiontec box between outlet a and Arris cable modem, and connected one of (b) on the router to Actiontec's ethernet port.

On the 2nd floor , I connected from the cable outlet to an Actiontec box and using a ethernet cable
to connect it to my company's laptop. I noticed that the two (cable and ethernet) indicator LED's on the Actiontec box stayed green. The laptop seemed to indicate "wired connection" and the company's VPN is "reachable".
However, when I clicked on the VPN icon to initiate the connection, the laptop just hung with a rotating cursor swirling around.
I also tried to replace the company laptop with an Apple airport extreme and could not get it to work.

Question: is the problem the 8-way splitter ?? Should I replace it with one covering 2GHz?
How about the pre-amplifier ? Need to cover 2GHz too ??

I have a very similar set up with Antronix amplifier-splitter combination and actiontec box in addition to a couple of Tivos. My Tivo Roamio Plus has MOCA built in. My router and cable modem are also in the basement. All my splitters are 1 GHz. Everything is working. so no 2 GHz needed for me. I think that since you have 2 actiontecs, they both needed to have access to your router get the ip address so the basement got it but the one upstairs also needed to be connected to your router either wifi or wired. In other words you might need the actiontec wifi extender. That's what I have.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!