What's new

Do you reboot often your router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikele2019

Occasional Visitor
Hi all
I would like to know if you have to reboot often your Asus router to be ok ?
Please let your model and number of rebooting you have to .. !
Thanks !

Except for when you first set it up or add scripts (if using RMerlin firmware) and reboot it twice afterward, you are masking a problem or issue if you're rebooting the router on a schedule. :)

you are masking a problem or issue if you're rebooting the router on a schedule.
Potentially, but only if there really is a problem :)

I have mine scheduled to reboot once a day "just in case". As there are no reboot issues with the AX88U, why not? Doesn't hurt anything to start fresh. But, if you are running a problematic router, or use a USB device (and script and stuff - which I don't), your mileage may vary :)

Not nearly as often as this question gets asked. :D :p :) :cool:
How often I reboot is based on RMerlin updates, more often during alpha/beta cycles, much less often during stable cycles. Right now I am at 9 days plus uptime, alpha version before was at 16 days uptime. Typical uptime for me is 15-60+ days. I love long uptimes :D

RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15_alpha1-g4fecf771de.

Wooooooooo I bought an Asus AC86U because I'm boring to reboot my ISP Zyxel Router once a month and I see that its the same ... as you say all... I think I will get it back to Best Buy... 5 answers only 1 do not reboot .. its very disturbing.. I will wait for some more answer but I think all router are the same regarding the need to restart to refresh memory ... I'm so disappointed I am very nostalgic when I remember my old wrt54 that I never ever restarted in its useful life.. time change and not for better..

Instead of making a decision on what others are saying, what about testing in your environment and deciding from there?

Many, many people have no issues at all and don't join/comment on an internet forum yay or nay. ;)

Wooooooooo I bought an Asus AC86U because I'm boring to reboot my ISP Zyxel Router once a month and I see that its the same ... as you say all... I think I will get it back to Best Buy... 5 answers only 1 do not reboot .. its very disturbing.. I will wait for some more answer but I think all router are the same regarding the need to restart to refresh memory ... I'm so disappointed I am very nostalgic when I remember my old wrt54 that I never ever restarted in its useful life.. time change and not for better..
Many people on this forum (including me) tinker with our routers too much, so we aren’t a good population to ask the question. Ask the people who run ASUS routers with Merlin firmware but don’t post on the forums because everything is fine. ;)

I have been rebooting my router(s) on each single day for the last 12 years or so. Reason is simple: I turn off power during night time. And I haven't had a single issue with rebooting. In the first years I simply powered it off and then I switched to shutting it down properly before turning off power.

I've never (ok, very seldom) have had to reboot any router I've owned.
DSL modem, yes. Router no.

But I don't tinker with it and typically have only one, maybe two devices simultaneously using Wi-Fi. Also don't do torrenting, large file transfers, have cameras, etc.

There's a HUGE difference between "having to" and just "doing" it. I got in the habit of a nightly reboot back in the 1980's when I ran a BBS. I don't have any particular "need" to reboot now, I just see no reason not to reboot nightly. On the other hand, my NAS units run for months between reboots. A whole different category in my mind.

Well thanks to all. I checked few forums and I get many answers / opinons and this router seem to be have many major issue.
This device sometimes power off itself or reboot alone (due to the power supply and cord I think - I had same issue with android box in past where I changed the power supply to fix it) and certainly very insufficient memory and this point is a shame considering the price ... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/
Anyways I saw many things that I would like to avoid because I already have a ISP router with need to reboot once a month due to intensive download/torrent/IPTV...
I was very bored about rebooting my free ISP router once a month so I bought this AC86U today at best buy store but for all this reasons I will bring it back tomorrow morning.
I'm looking for something more solid and stable and this router seem to be not. For now I can live with my ISP router Zyxel with reboot once a month.
Thanks to all for your opinions and comments and good luck

Never reboot unless there is a problem ( first line of troubleshooting) or flashing new firmware.

I reboot once a week. I don't really have to but just like every OS a reboot every now and then help things run smoothly.

Hi all
I would like to know if you have to reboot often your Asus router to be ok ?
Please let your model and number of rebooting you have to .. !
Thanks !

there was another thread with some commentary on router rebooting and adverse effects it may have on the components inside the unit. The heating and cooling may affect the soldering, etc. Others can chime in with any details if they remember.

there was another thread with some commentary on router rebooting and adverse effects it may have on the components inside the unit. The heating and cooling may affect the soldering, etc.

That is complete nonsense, circuits/components and devices are designed to cope with switching and power fluctuations. How would TV's , radios, PC's , phones etc. survive?

I only reboot if I am testing scripts or making major changes in the configuration. So far I guess I have been lucky as my new RT-AC86U that replaced my rock solid RT-AC68U has not exhibited any gui reboot issues after the first day of setup. I hope this reliability continues.

I only reboot a router after upgrading the firmware.

The cable modem, routers, switches, atas, workstations, monitors, cordless peripherals, speakers, printer, scanner... are all ON 24x7; are all on a UPS except the speakers, printer, and scanner; and all sleep in a low power state except the network bits... the network is always up!

Edit: Funny enough, Spectrum Internet just went out for about an hour, likely due to the heavy snow around here. I wish stupid Android was smart enough to switch over from WiFi to cellular data to keep a softphone online during an Internet outage.

OE

Last edited:
Same here. Everything is connected via wifi. I have 20 devices. 5 Echo devices, hue light bulbs, Bond hub, Amazon plugs, ISP cable modem, printer, laptops, AppleTV, 2 Firestick 4K. All but the printers and smart plugs are on several ups devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!