What's new

Do you reboot often your router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I only reboot when there are problems or I need to upgrade firmware. My RT-AX88U does not have major unstabilities, only sometimes wifi (once every couple of weeks) starts to behave strangely and this is the unstability main reason to reboot.

Hi all
I would like to know if you have to reboot often your Asus router to be ok ?
Please let your model and number of rebooting you have to .. !
Thanks !
I used to reboot regularly until someone on this forum asked why I do it. It can also be a pain as I use a VPN provides DNS servers and often after a reboot I would have to register my ip address will them again

Same here. Everything is connected via wifi. I have 20 devices. 5 Echo devices, hue light bulbs, Bond hub, Amazon plugs, ISP cable modem, printer, laptops, AppleTV, 2 Firestick 4K. All but the printers and smart plugs are on several ups devices.
Similar setup here, but no issues with the router scheduled to reboot daily. All devices are perfectly happy and recover fine from the 11-2 minute loss of internet.

My AC RT86U has been hanging on the wall since November of 2018 and it just works. No need for a scheduled reboot. I have satellite internet and occasionally I have to reboot the modem. If so I also reboot the router but that's about it. And when there is a firmware update. It seems I'm a little behind on that. I know, it's on my list of things to do this year.:)

The question isn't to reboot or not when needed, obviously, you just do it.

Rebooting to 'prevent' problems though? Like installing the Norton virus to protect you against viruses. :)

I never have to reboot my RT-AC68U with stock firmware.
The setup is straight forward, it is just a router and wireless access point to me.
The only sin is the 15 GB USB stick that resides in the USB-2 port, I use that as a temporary storage medium for data from and to different devices.
The router keeps pace with Asus firmware updates, most are not even followed with a hard reset.
Current run time: 21 days, I think the last reboot was because of some setting experiments.

And to take it broader:
I never have to reset my iPhone, it only resets after a IOS update.
Windows PC's still tend to like a reboot now and then.
The home PC's usually travel between sleep mode and being on, with a restart after certain Microsoft updates.
Industrial PC's I do work with sometimes need a reboot (say monthly) to magically fix weird issues, but it is by far not as worse as it was decades ago.

Well thanks to all. I checked few forums and I get many answers / opinons and this router seem to be have many major issue.
That doesn't make much sense to me. Checking the forums will show you what kind of problems people have, but will not provide any indication as to how often problems happen. People not having a problem are not likely to submit a post saying, "I had no problems today".

That doesn't make much sense to me. Checking the forums will show you what kind of problems people have, but will not provide any indication as to how often problems happen. People not having a problem are not likely to submit a post saying, "I had no problems today".

life is not only black , or white...

life is not only black , or white...
I think in very general you can conclude that by way the majority of consumers do not have issues with their equipment (otherwise they would have returned it to the seller without letting the world know).
The issues you read in forums are written by a very small percentage of users of a certain product.
Asus routers are mass products, hence the relatively low price (the selling price is solely market driven, the actual router box does cost a few dollars or euro's).
Many thousands of people are using those routers, and for most it is a thing they buy, unpack, connect, startup and never look after anymore. Only very few do complain or find the way to a forum like this.
The RT-AC68U and its variants is around for many years, this can make you conclude it is a rock solid product. What I like of Asus (compared to e.g. Linksys) is their long term firmware update support.

I think in very general you can conclude that by way the majority of consumers do not have issues with their equipment (otherwise they would have returned it to the seller without letting the world know).
The issues you read in forums are written by a very small percentage of users of a certain product.
Asus routers are mass products, hence the relatively low price (the selling price is solely market driven, the actual router box does cost a few dollars or euro's).
Many thousands of people are using those routers, and for most it is a thing they buy, unpack, connect, startup and never look after anymore. Only very few do complain or find the way to a forum like this.
The RT-AC68U and its variants is around for many years, this can make you conclude it is a rock solid product. What I like of Asus (compared to e.g. Linksys) is their long term firmware update support.
Well you know my wife had a car for 10 years and she never ever opened the hood ... I mean people do not see the issue, and when the issue is discovered its to late.. But If you use your router for massive downloading, playing, Netflix IPTV and heavy 4k Streaming / firmwaring (!) you will see that the Asus router is scrap and I trust people in forums where only 1/100 people is represented

EDIT: I have friends who have a Tenda AC10U router and frankly wooooooo it's great one ! Better than a $ 200 router that will cause me only trouble losting signal rebooting... but for 30 buck I dont care

Last edited:
Well you know my wife had a car for 10 years and she never ever opened the hood ... I mean people do not see the issue, and when the issue is discovered its to late.. But If you use your router for massive downloading, playing, Netflix IPTV and heavy 4k Streaming / firmwaring (!) you will see that the Asus router is scrap and I trust people in forums where only 1/100 people is represented

EDIT: I have friends who have a Tenda AC10U router and frankly wooooooo it's great one ! Better than a $ 200 router that will cause me only trouble losting signal rebooting... but for 30 buck I dont care

OP: What is your point? Do you want to know if users regularly reboot their router or do you want to complain about Asus routers? If the later, then you are wasting people's time with your post.

OE

Yes you right sorry I just wanted to buy this router but seen the answers on the forums I realize that it is an error... Like ValD said I am sure that ASUS, pressed by ever increasing competition, took the marketing approach with the newer generation products. Old fame, less development efforts, more advertisement, hope for more sales and bigger profits... until things backfire.

Yes you right sorry I just wanted to buy this router but seen the answers on the forums I realize that it is an error... Like ValD said I am sure that ASUS, pressed by ever increasing competition, took the marketing approach with the newer generation products. Old fame, less development efforts, more advertisement, hope for more sales and bigger profits... until things backfire.

So, you are wasting people's time with your post. Fare well.

OE

I don't care 30 buck or 150 or 300, I care for security of my home network.

Ahhh People who want really break your system will break your system, 300$ or 800$ value its exactly the same its bulls ... Our Government first ... If you think you are protected with your flashy or the more expensive material you make a big mistake especially if you have something to be blamed for which is not the case of 99,99% people

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!