What's new

do you trust TrendMicro AiProtection and why? What alternative do you use (IPS/IDS)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you trust TrendMicro AiProtection and why? (add what alternative you use for IPS/IDS)

• Total voters
Using trendmicro and trusting them are really 2 different issues. While I may or may not trust them, I currently use the services. :)

Using trendmicro and trusting them are really 2 different issues. While I may or may not trust them, I currently use the services. :)

My view exactly.
I also use Skynet, indicating while I’m sure TrendMicro are doing a good job, I’m having a bet each way!
(I’m also using malware blocking DNS, so I can only hope I have it covered.)

My view exactly.
I also use Skynet, indicating while I’m sure TrendMicro are doing a good job, I’m having a bet each way!
(I’m also using malware blocking DNS, so I can only hope I have it covered.)

I also use Trendmicro (don't completely "trust" anything), Skynet, The Windows 10 Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and my malware blocking DNS is Quad9 DNS over TLS. Works both ways -- stops resolving connections to malware sites and malware in my system (hope not) from resolving back.

Windows 10 Defender can (and should be run "sandboxed"):
https://www.microsoft.com/security/...-defender-antivirus-can-now-run-in-a-sandbox/

I have also for years used a Hosts file periodically udated at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm.

And always (security) update any installed software ASAP.

I also try to keep up with the latest security issues via Steve Gibsons Twit.tv podcast "Security Now"
https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/

Firefox (my favorite browser) is now the only browser that offers an easy DoH configuration:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-enable-dns-over-https-doh-in-firefox/

Its always a good idea to apply layers of protection, IMHO.

Last edited:
I also use Trendmicro (don't completely "trust" anything), Skynet, The Windows 10 Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and my malware blocking DNS is Quad9 DNS over TLS. Works both ways -- stops resolving connections to malware sites and malware in my system (hope not) from resolving back.

Windows 10 Defender can (and should be run "sandboxed"):
https://www.microsoft.com/security/...-defender-antivirus-can-now-run-in-a-sandbox/

I have also for years used a Hosts file periodically udated at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm.

And always (security) update any installed software ASAP.

I also try to keep up with the latest security issues via Steve Gibsons Twit.tv podcast "Security Now"
https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/

Firefox (my favorite browser) is now the only browser that offers an easy DoH configuration:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-enable-dns-over-https-doh-in-firefox/

Its always a good idea to apply layers of protection, IMHO.

Crazy amount of overkill there.

If you run Win 10 as a local/ limited user account , Win 10 Defender Sandboxed and Quad9 you really do not need Malwarebytes (which is low rated in AVTests and a dead weight on your system ) and with all the other scripts you run I would dump TrendMicro ( or dump the scripts and use TM) , how many times do you need to filter your incoming connection ????

Way,way too much interference.

Last edited:
Crazy amount of overkill there.

If you run Win 10 as a local user account , Win 10 Defender Sandboxed and Quad9 you really do not need Malwarebytes (which is low rated in AVTests and a dead weight on your system ) and with all the other scripts you run I would dump TrendMicro ( or dump the scripts and use TM) ~

Way,way too much interference.
Windows 10 Local user account -- Yup
Win 10 Defender Sandboxed -- Yup
Quad9 -- Yup (added DoT)
Malwarebytes -- Yeah, I've been thinking about removing that one. Considering your thoughts, I probably will.
Trendmicro -- Is being used on the Asus RT-AC68U AiProtection. Don't actually have Trendmicro installed on OS. Are you saying disable it on the router?

EDIT: on an additional note, I do agree the more programs you use on your system the more you increase your security vulnerability landscape/footprint (each product may come with their own unpatched security issues). It's maybe a counter-intuitive idea. Truly, as regards to software products, MORE isn't necessarily BETTER .

how many times do you need to filter your incoming connection ????

...until something breaks? ;)

Last edited:
Most important thing : Common sense.
Windows run as Limited user.
Use a good AV , Microsoft Defender is fine.
Windows Firewall
Quad9 ( or similar ) blocks bad domains ;
Or use TrendMicro which blocks bad domains, inspects incoming packets etc.
You need nothing else running full time.
Panda Cloud Cleaner is a good aggressive on demand malware check for occasional use.
Nord VPN on your desktop with CyberSec enabled also blocks adverts and malware.

If you use Quad 9 and a decent AV then TrendMicro is not needed , you are checking URL's twice .

I would use one or the other . The only people I see these days with infected devices are either doing really, really stupid things or those running multiple apps for protection.

Most important thing : Common sense. ~

Nord VPN on your desktop with CyberSec enabled also blocks adverts and malware.

If you use Quad 9 and a decent AV then TrendMicro is not needed , you are checking URL's twice .
I use Nord VPN as a AsusRT68U vpn client at home for all my devices (Nord VPN only allows 6 simultaneous client connections, I may need 8 or more at anytime)--don't think CyberSec is configurable that way?. I have it loaded as an app on all my computers (when traveling/away from home with CyberSec ENABLED)

I would use one or the other . The only people I see these days with infected devices are either doing really, really stupid things or those running multiple apps for protection.

Agreed. I refer back to my previous comment, "...the more programs you use on your system the more you increase your security vulnerability landscape/footprint (each product may come with their own unpatched security issues)"

Last edited:
No matter what you guys use, remember you pay with your user information for all "free" and many "paid" services. Advertising companies pay big bucks for user information and they get it from Mobile Networks, ISP, DNS, VPN, Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, Online Stores, Banks, Free WiFi, Free Email, Cloud Services, Web Hosting, Phone/Tablet Apps, etc. Some companies offer various "protection" services with the sole goal to get your information and sell it to someone interested.

I don't need and don't use any of the TrendMicro services offered through ASUS firmware.

i think it's laughable to worry about trendmicro when your real privacy enemies are companies that can marry your real data with your online activity such as; amazon google facebook apple your-ISP your-Smartphone any-PaymentSystem, etc. i'm no more worried about trendmicro than i am asus, merlin or the guys who generously contribute useful apps here.

amazon google

Yes, and millions of people voluntarily put microphones in their homes connected to Amazon and Google so they can track even off-line activities, if they want to. Those devices are also offered for "free" with some purchases. It's a great convenience to change the light bulb color using voice commands, you know. I have no idea how people managed to survive for so long with "dumb" light switches and power plugs.

I have no idea how people managed to survive for so long with "dumb" light switches and power plugs.
Or a TV without a remote control! Lol

Or a TV without a remote control!

Not the same.
TV remote control is a local device. I don't have to call Google to turn on my TV.
My mood lights in the living room have a remote control. I don't have to call Amazon to change the color.

And both Google and Apple were recently caught, admitting that they had humans actually listening to some of the recordings they gathered from Google Now and Siri. Both just suspended that practice in the EU...

Hi,
please vote and explain your choice and what you have implemented as an alternative.
Thank you!

Since this has went a little off topic, I'll add my additional question: For those using it, how much of a performance hit do you see. It's my understanding that hardware acceleration is disabled (on the ac86u at least) when aiProtect is enabled. Has anyone done any real world test; speed with vs without, etc. I have and wonder what others say.

It's my understanding that hardware acceleration is disabled (on the ac86u at least) when aiProtect is enabled

There is no more "HW Acceleration" on RT-AC86U. It's called "Runner" and "Flow Cache" now. Both are enabled on RT-AC86U when using AiProtection services. There is a performance penalty though, CPU has to do more work. Someone did a test and uploaded the results on YouTube:

There is no more "HW Acceleration" on RT-AC86U. It's called "Runner" and "Flow Cache" now. Both are enabled on RT-AC86U when using AiProtection services. There is a performance penalty though, CPU has to do more work. Someone did a test and uploaded the results on YouTube:

Interesting you say enabled, I've read on here many times that those are DISabled when any aiProtection service has been turned on.

Interesting you say enabled, I've read on here many times that those are DISabled when any aiProtection service has been turned on.

Both are Enabled with TrendMicro services. Disabled only then using Traditional QoS.

Hi,
please vote and explain your choice and what you have implemented as an alternative.
Thank you!
Consumer grade routers can't protect us from hacking, and it's unstable. Installing Internet Security to each devices is much better. If you really care use a dedicated Hardware Firewall instead of a Consumer grade router firewall or Antivirus.