What's new

Does a router like the GT-AXE16000 have a higher backhaul range than mesh units like the Zenwifi ET12? Or just higher Wifi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meshymesh

New Around Here
I have Zenwifi ET12's and need to expand coverage to my barn, which is far from the house. I'm trying to decide between another ET12 or a router like the GT-AXE16000. I know the router has a higher wifi range, but does it also have a higher backhaul range?

No need to open another thread.

Yeah, I created a new thread after realizing my last thread wasn't specific enough to my question. Hope that's ok!

Yes, but I'm seriously in doubt anyone can answer your question simply because it's your Wi-Fi environment specific. If your barn is far away 6GHz band is the worst one to be used for backhaul - it has the shortest range. I wouldn't place outdoors (or in a barn) an expensive router either if that's your idea. I wouldn't buy the models you are talking about to begin with - there are better options for $1500.

But aren't the backhaul options the same on the E12 and the GT-AXE16000? They're both Wifi 6e, and both allow you to adjust backhaul frequency among 6GHz, 5GHz, and 2.4GHz options. My thought is, if all settings are the same, the router might have a higher backhaul reach because of more antennae, in most environments.

It's really more of a general question: Do mesh routers that have a higher wifi range also have a higher backhaul range, assuming all variables the same.

because of more antennae

ET12 uses 10x internal antennas. AX16000 8x external antennas are more for show. Consumers like the "power" of visible antennas.

Do mesh routers that have a higher wifi range also have a higher backhaul range?

The problem is no one knows what range AX16000 will have in your environment. The theory is good, but reality may be very different.

adjust backhaul frequency

You need Ethernet wires to ensure the performance. Nothing wireless is guaranteed to work as you expect. You have signed up for beta testing program with the models above and you pay high enrollment price. This is what AXE products are at this stage. AiMesh is not the best "mesh" option either.

ET12 uses 10x internal antennas. AX16000 8x external antennas are more for show. Consumers like the "power" of visible antennas.

Gotcha that makes sense. I actually don't like the look of the external antennae. I guess I'll go with another ET12.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!