What's new

Does Asus-Wrt mantain a list of "blacklisted" devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moabdave

Regular Contributor
Scenario - I have Guest Network 2 enabled for my IoT devices, with access intranet restricted. I've long had a couple of devices who would work great for a long time. I make some change to the configuration to the one of the IoT devices, device works fine for short time with the new configuration (a day or two), then the device stops communicating. Rebooting the IoT devices does not solve the problem; rebooting the router does. Once router reboots the devices will communicate until I need to make another change. However, it happened so infrequently that it wasn't a nuiscance and I just lived with it. I just assumed after a configuration change these devices attempted to see what was on the local network and got their hand smacked by the router, and left the devices in an odd state until someone gave up trying to keep communications active. However, this is happening with a new device that I recently added to the network, from a different manufacturer, and it is happening so frequently that it is becoming a nuiscance to reboot the router. I initially blamed the devices, but now I'm wondering if the router is blacklisting these devices, and that is why the connections are broken? Anybody else know what may be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share.

Scenario - I have Guest Network 2 enabled for my IoT devices, with access intranet restricted. I've long had a couple of devices who would work great for a long time. I make some change to the configuration to the one of the IoT devices, device works fine for short time with the new configuration (a day or two), then the device stops communicating. Rebooting the IoT devices does not solve the problem; rebooting the router does. Once router reboots the devices will communicate until I need to make another change. However, it happened so infrequently that it wasn't a nuiscance and I just lived with it. I just assumed after a configuration change these devices attempted to see what was on the local network and got their hand smacked by the router, and left the devices in an odd state until someone gave up trying to keep communications active. However, this is happening with a new device that I recently added to the network, from a different manufacturer, and it is happening so frequently that it is becoming a nuiscance to reboot the router. I initially blamed the devices, but now I'm wondering if the router is blacklisting these devices, and that is why the connections are broken? Anybody else know what may be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share.
Router and firmware version, please. Which guest band? What are your WIFI settings?

Router and firmware version, please. Which guest band? What are your WIFI settings?
GT-AC5300. 386 firmware, though this problem existed with older versions as well. 2nd guest network 2.4GHz band, WPA2, no intranet access.

Make sure your 2.4 GHz is set to a fixed channel, 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHz. Using auto channel and 40 MHz can cause some problems. Same with 5 GHz. Use a fixed channel at 80 MHz. Recommend not to use DFS channels.

Make sure your 2.4 GHz is set to a fixed channel, 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHz. Using auto channel and 40 MHz can cause some problems. Same with 5 GHz. Use a fixed channel at 80 MHz. Recommend not to use DFS channels.
Thanks for the tip. It was configured for auto, and was using channel 2. Being as how at this exact moment in time everything is communicating I didn't want to change that, so it's fixed at 20MHz and channel 2. If communications go down again I'll switch to 1, 6 or 11.