What's new

Does disabling special features prolong router's life?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shah Saad

Occasional Visitor
Can we prolong router's life by disabling features like AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, VPN server, Game boost etc etc? I have RTAC86U (2 in aimesh)

Also I am not at home from morning till afternoon and I don't require the wifi at night either. So if I schedule the wifi to be turned off from midnight to afternoon, would that have a positive effect on router's hardware?

Can we prolong router's life by disabling features like AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, VPN server, Game boost etc etc? I have RTAC86U (2 in aimesh)

Also I am not at home from morning till afternoon and I don't require the wifi at night either. So if I schedule the wifi to be turned off from midnight to afternoon, would that have a positive effect on router's hardware?

I don't have a quantitative answer other than that if you do not use the router, it will probably last longer. I do have a qualitative suggestion... just use it and enjoy it... it will typically outlast its technological usefulness... all of my past routers starting with the WRT54G still work but are sitting in a box in the garage. Any premature failure is most likely unavoidable.

Disabling the WiFi radios might save a few power pennies, but consider this possibility... power cycling electronics increases the associated thermal cycles and mechanical fatigue, which could lead to earlier circuit/component failure.

OE

No.
No, but it could have a negative impact. The lifespan of electronic components is reduced when they're exposed to thermal stress. So repeatedly turning the wireless components on and off (i.e. they heat up and then cool down) is not a good thing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!