What's new

Does diversion etc block ads on IPTV?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
My ISP is starting to roll out IPTV to its subscribers, and this thought just crossed my mind. I’ve never seen any discussion of it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.
Anyone? Am I dreaming or simply blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

assuming the ads might be like you-tube ads i'd say no, but i do not know enough to really comment on this subject, but what i can tell you is , this question would be better suited for the Diversion thread where people who use it might frequent more often v.s. being a main topic.

I created a topic of its own to stay away from the existing discussion. As I said, I’ve never seen anyone talk about this in that thread -this was a theoretical spitball. Best it splatter away from the main thread...but it couldn’t hurt to tag @thelonelycoder right?

Someone would need to know how IPTV works and whether it uses DNS. And if it does use DNS, is it hardcoded in the device, in which case it can be overridden with DNSFilter on the router, but I would be surprised if it's making direct calls to ad domains and not connecting directly to the provider who is serving ads in the stream. But I could be wrong since I have no experience with IPTV.

I’ll start digging for resources/information.

No idea if that works. I have no TV subscription services, no IPTV.

I would assume the answer is "no" as most streaming services present the advertising as part of the video stream content without any distinction. Of course this varies by provider and could vary per stream too.

perhaps I'm not clear on exactly how diversion etc work, but "a datastream is a datastream" is where I'm coming from on this. It may be an embedded metadata thing, which might be beyond the scope of the script.
I may also be somewhat ahead of myself, re-reading @dave14305 "s comment about calling for tailored advertising...but that can't be too far off.
that's why I'm going to dig in and find some resources on IPTV streaming.
It's gratifying to see some activity here, isn't it @Swistheater ?

Last edited:
...And if it does use DNS, is it hardcoded in the device, in which case it can be overridden with DNSFilter on the router, but I .
Have I misread or misunderstood this, Dave? When DNS is hard-coded, DNSFilter can still override it?

Have I misread or misunderstood this, Dave? When DNS is hard-coded, DNSFilter can still override it?
Sure, that's what it does. If a client is configured to send its DNS queries to 8.8.8.8, for example, but DNSFilter is configured with Global mode Router or an individual client rule for Router, it will take all the DNS packets destined for 8.8.8.8 and rewrite them to go to the router's IP and therefore DNSMasq and Diversion (if installed).

Sure, that's what it does. If a client is configured to send its DNS queries to 8.8.8.8, for example, but DNSFilter is configured with Global mode Router or an individual client rule for Router, it will take all the DNS packets destined for 8.8.8.8 and rewrite them to go to the router's IP and therefore DNSMasq and Diversion (if installed).
Excellent. Many thanks, indeed, for the great explanation . I had misunderstood and thought there was something magical about hardcoding DNS that somehow allowed it to bypass DNSFiltering. It didn’t quite make sense to me, but I finally got the chance to ask the question and clarify my misconception. Many thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!