What's new

Does latest ac-68 firmware Version 3.0.0.4.385 provide dns IP assign feature?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

new_berlin

Occasional Visitor
My ac-68w still runs ancient asus fw version 3.0.0.4.374. I've read threads indicating that i have to first upgrade to intermediate versions before getting to Version 3.0.0.4.385. Since the router is currently rock solid stable, i want to take the trouble of upgrading and re-configuring settings only if the latest firmware has the ability to satisfy my current requirement. Two questions on this front--

[1] Basically, I need to be able to block certain https urls (primarily goggle talk from within gmail.) I've learned that the way to accomplish this is to configure/redirect requests to this url to a local IP such as 127.0.0.1. Can the latest asus-wrt firmware version accomplish this?

[2] If the newest asus fw cannot help, I suppose i will have to install the merlin version. Are there any intermediate steps to install merlin as well or can I try the latest one?

It is critical that the router at this point remain functional through the week because of wfh etc, so I'm being extra careful trying to learn what I can up front. Excuse the handholding request. :)

Welcome to the forums.

Do not attempt to upgrade it during the week if it is a required resource.

Running 6-year-old plus firmware is bad for your network health/security. I don't know if stock firmware offers what you're asking for, but with RMerlin firmware (always recommended) you have the full gamut of scripts available including Diversion from the author of the built-in amtm front-end for scripts, @thelonelycoder.

I seem to vaguely recall an xx.xxx '55' firmware being needed as the intermediary step. I'm sure others with sharper memory will give you the right version to flash before flashing the latest.

After you are on the RMerlin or stock Asus firmware you want to be on, I would suggest a full M&M Config and possibly even a Nuclear Reset with new SSID's to ensure your newly flashed router has the best chance of giving you maximum reliability, stability, and performance.

Do not use old backup config files after flashing a new firmware. Do not use old settings that worked 'once upon a time'. Do not use old scripts that once worked either.

Instead, use the defaults suggested in the M&M Config and follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get a USB drive properly working on your freshly upgraded router. Just remember that with RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 and later, you will not need to install amtm, it is already included in the firmware.

See the link below for the guides (and more) mentioned above.

Welcome to the forums.

Do not attempt to upgrade it during the week if it is a required resource.

Running 6-year-old plus firmware is bad for your network health/security. I don't know if stock firmware offers what you're asking for, but with RMerlin firmware (always recommended) you have the full gamut of scripts available including Diversion from the author of the built-in amtm front-end for scripts, @thelonelycoder.

I seem to vaguely recall an xx.xxx '55' firmware being needed as the intermediary step. I'm sure others with sharper memory will give you the right version to flash before flashing the latest.

After you are on the RMerlin or stock Asus firmware you want to be on, I would suggest a full M&M Config and possibly even a Nuclear Reset with new SSID's to ensure your newly flashed router has the best chance of giving you maximum reliability, stability, and performance.

Do not use old backup config files after flashing a new firmware. Do not use old settings that worked 'once upon a time'. Do not use old scripts that once worked either.

Instead, use the defaults suggested in the M&M Config and follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get a USB drive properly working on your freshly upgraded router. Just remember that with RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 and later, you will not need to install amtm, it is already included in the firmware.

See the link below for the guides (and more) mentioned above.

Thank you. I found the '55' firmware you mentioned in another thread. Hope this is correct
https://sourceforge.net/projects/as...-AC68U/Release/RT-AC68U_378.55_0.zip/download

Btw, can the merlin '55' serve as a intermediate install for stock fw also if I decide to go that route? (Still hoping someone will confirm or deny whether the latest stock fw has the DNS IP assign feature.)

Once you've gone to 378.55 you will be able upgrade to later versions of Merlin or Asus. Downgrading from current versions to older ones can sometimes be problematic.

You can't filter HTTPS URLs because they are encrypted. You can however block an entire domain by redirecting it in DNS, e.g. google.com. You can do this with a custom config file in Merlin.

[...]

[1] Basically, I need to be able to block certain https urls (primarily goggle talk from within gmail.) I've learned that the way to accomplish this is to configure/redirect requests to this url to a local IP such as 127.0.0.1. Can the latest asus-wrt firmware version accomplish this?

To block Google Talk, sinkholing these hostnames may help (not sure):

meet.google.com
hangouts.google.com

which can be done in Diversion, i believe, but i don't use Diversion myself.

I had been running the original firmware the router came with until a few months ago when I updated it to the latest at that time. I didn't know about this "378.55" intermediate step. Mine seems to be running fine now 3.0.0.4.385_20630, but is there something I should be looking for or avoiding if I missed that intermediate step?

I had been running the original firmware the router came with until a few months ago when I updated it to the latest at that time. I didn't know about this "378.55" intermediate step. Mine seems to be running fine now 3.0.0.4.385_20630, but is there something I should be looking for or avoiding if I missed that intermediate step?
In your post from July you said your original firmware version was 3.0.0.4.380_7378 which is more recent than 378.55.

Pardon the egg on my face. I had looked at my notes on customizations I make when setting up the router, but hadn't recorded a history of the firmware versions. Thank you for looking at my post history and finding it mentioned there. I've had the router for several years, and at the time of purchase thought it was new, I now see the router release date of late 2013, and they had worked through that FW format change prior to the one I purchased.

Thank you all, just reporting back. For the moment, since I had a raspberry-pi lying around doing nothing, I decided to use pi-hole to accomplish my original requirement simply because I am reluctant to switch firmware for the present (when i have more time and flexibility in the future, will likely do so.)
FWIW, incorporating the pi-hole was fairly straightforward and needed minimal config changes to router. Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!