What's new

Does Merlin Support SMB2 or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DSPGuy

Occasional Visitor
Do current Merlin releases support SMB2 or not?

I've seen things on line which suggests it does. And others which suggest it doesn't. I just bought a used RT-AC68U because there is a Merlin install image for it, RT-AC68U_386.5_2.trx . But after I loaded it into the Asus, Windows Explorer can't connect to it unless I enable SMB1 via the Control panel, which implies to me that the Merlin package didn't give me SMB2. But the Merlin Features Page seems to indicate it does. True, the wording isn't crystal clear, but that's the best interpretation I make of it. See below. -

Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin and were eventually implemented in the official firmware:​

• Updated Samba version (3.6), with SMB2.0 support
Actually, this says to me that Asus native firmware also supports SMB2 now, which I'm not sure is true. Was SMB2 removed from Merlin after its initial debut?

I did verify that the Asus internal web page showed the new FW version, so I know it loaded.
1648432215163.png

So which is it - Yea or Ney?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!