What's new

Does plugging AiMesh Node into network help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Salvador Santolucito

New Around Here
I've got the first AC68 in the middle of my house and the second AC68 on the side. I've got ethernet cables routed to both of those routers.

I have the second AC68 working as a mesh node now. But from what I've read, it doesn't sound like plugging the ethernet cable into it will matter. And that it just serves as a wireless router to bridge signals to the first (primary) AC68.

Is that right? Do I not need to connect the second AC68 to the ethernet cable?

Thanks!

-Sal

I've got the first AC68 in the middle of my house and the second AC68 on the side. I've got ethernet cables routed to both of those routers.

I have the second AC68 working as a mesh node now. But from what I've read, it doesn't sound like plugging the ethernet cable into it will matter. And that it just serves as a wireless router to bridge signals to the first (primary) AC68.

Is that right? Do I not need to connect the second AC68 to the ethernet cable?

Thanks!

-Sal

A wired backhaul from node WAN to router LAN will be a solid/stable Gigabit Ethernet connection.

A wireless backhaul from node to router will burden the WiFi bandwidth and will be subject to the affects of distance, path, and interference.

Measure, decide, and use the backhaul type available that will give you the best performance, wired Gigabit Ethernet or shared AC1900 WiFi.

In general, wire it unless you have a good reason not to.

If AiMesh does not Auto sense a wired backhaul, set the node connection type to Wired, to force it. Some LAN switches can defeat Auto sensing of backhaul type.

OE

A wired backhaul from node WAN to router LAN will be a solid/stable Gigabit Ethernet connection.

A wireless backhaul from node to router will burden the WiFi bandwidth and will be subject to the affects of distance, path, and interference.

Measure, decide, and use the backhaul type available that will give you the best performance, wired Gigabit Ethernet or shared AC1900 WiFi.

In general, wire it unless you have a good reason not to.

If AiMesh does not Auto sense a wired backhaul, set the node connection type to Wired, to force it. Some LAN switches can defeat Auto sensing of backhaul type.

OE

I've got ATT fiber and the router they provided is an ARRIS BGS210. The primary AC68 is plugged into one of the network ports and the node AC68 is plugged into another one. When I log onto the router I see "wireless bars" on the mesh node indicating that it is using wireless backhaul.

So I guess it isn't automatically using the wired connection through the ARRIS router? I don't see a way to force it to use wired.

Thanks!

I think I could change it around so that the router in the center of the house is the mesh node and the one on the side is the primary AiMesh router (AP connected to ARRIS modem).

Would that make a difference in performance? I was thinking that most traffic should be to the main router and that the mesh node was for extending the range. Would it cause performance problems if the mesh node was in the center and the primary router was out at the edge?

Thanks,
Sal

Last edited:
I've got ATT fiber and the router they provided is an ARRIS BGS210. The primary AC68 is plugged into one of the network ports and the node AC68 is plugged into another one. When I log onto the router I see "wireless bars" on the mesh node indicating that it is using wireless backhaul.

So I guess it isn't automatically using the wired connection through the ARRIS router? I don't see a way to force it to use wired.

Thanks!

So, it sounds like you are using the two 68Us as i) AiMesh router in AP mode and ii) AiMesh node.

I assume the AiMesh router in AP mode should be wired to the AT&T Arris router as an AP normally is.

And, I believe the AiMesh node WAN should be wired to the AiMesh router LAN.

Then the connection type should Auto sense and indicate Wired backhaul.

OE

I think I could change it around so that the router in the center of the house is the mesh node and the one on the side is the primary router.

Would that make a difference in performance? I was thinking that most traffic should be to the main router and that the mesh node was for extending the range. Would it cause performance problems if the mesh node was in the center and the primary router was out at the edge?

Thanks,
Sal

I'd get it working first... the wired backhaul in the default configuration, Arris >> AiMesh router AP >> AiMesh node AP. Then experiment knowingly to suit your site constraints.

OE

Here is what my network map might look like... my one concern is that the U Verse wireless TV access point (that will carry 3 TV signals) will be going through the wired ethernet backhaul cable that is between the primary AC68 and the mesh node AC68. Would that be a choke point? Should I add a second ethernet wire between the ARRIS router and the U Verse wireless access point?

Image here ...
https://ibb.co/jreZfo

Here is what my network map might look like... my one concern is that the U Verse wireless TV access point (that will carry 3 TV signals) will be going through the wired ethernet backhaul cable that is between the primary AC68 and the mesh node AC68. Would that be a choke point? Should I add a second ethernet wire between the ARRIS router and the U Verse wireless access point?

Image here ...
https://ibb.co/jreZfo

I see... nice diagram!

A quick search suggests IPTV streams are 6Mbps for HD and 2Mbps for SD. Your wired Gigabit Ethernet backhaul should run at 1000Mbps. If these numbers are close, then I don't see a bottle neck. If you notice streaming issues, you could consider setting QoS in the AiMesh router AP to ensure bandwidth for the time-sensitive TV streaming... but this may not be required... and may not solve THE problem which could be something else somewhere else in the path from ATT to your TV... it would be best to narrow such a problem down first by collecting some facts.

Of course, it might be 'better' to wire the TV AP directly to the Arris router. But this may not be required... except to remove AiMesh from the equation since AiMesh is still under development and subject to bad behavior, imo.

OE

Your wired Gigabit Ethernet backhaul should run at 1000Mbps.
I was a bit surprised to find that they will actually reach that:

LANbandwidth.png

Hrmmm... I tried the picture that I posted but the U Verse box and wireless boxes that were hanging of the AC68 mesh node weren't happy. They'd stream TV for a minute and then say "lost connection" on the TV. The mesh node had a hard wired backchannel to the primary AC68 that was connected to the ARRIS router.

If it is hardwired anyway, what is the downside to simply making the remote device an Access Point?

If it is hardwired anyway, what is the downside to simply making the remote device an Access Point?

I wanted to to AiMesh so that it could act as one contiguous wireless network. I thought that if the two routers were wired as independent access points, they'd have to have unique network names and I'd have to switch networks as I walk from one side of the property to the other.

They do not need different names, but we have found it more convenient for troubleshooting when they do. It has made no difference in roaming--devices switch when the first signal gets too weak.

Hrmmm... I tried the picture that I posted but the U Verse box and wireless boxes that were hanging of the AC68 mesh node weren't happy. They'd stream TV for a minute and then say "lost connection" on the TV. The mesh node had a hard wired backchannel to the primary AC68 that was connected to the ARRIS router.

Is the AiMesh node WAN wired to AiMesh router LAN?

I'd be sure to power down everything, then bring the network routers up, then the TV AP, and finally the TV boxes.

Is the TV AP simply bridged so that all clients are using the same DHCP server in the ARRIS router to avoid IP addressing issues?

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!