What's new

Does the AC-1750 B1 (AC66U B1) support WireGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R G G

Regular Contributor
I've been using Merlin for the past couple years. The advanced OpenVPN configuration has been a blessing when it comes to setting up 2 or 3 streaming devices, but it's not very usable for other devices, since the speed is capped at ~20 Mbps due to the single-threaded nature of OpenVPN and the weak CPU of the 66U.

As far as I know, there is no OpenWRT support for the router, but I haven't checked recently. I've even been told that the Broadcom ARM processor can't run WireGuard due to a hardware limit (?)

Would like to know if anyone has successfully set up WG on their 66U or even 68U

please familiarize yourself with this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-rt-ac86u-ax88u.46164/
the first post is quite specific...but read well into the thread as it (as I recall) touches on running wireguard-go through entware on routers that don't meet the kernel spec.
TL;DR - you need to upgrade your router or find another way to try out WG. Maybe PiHole, with your ac66u-b1 as an AP?

please familiarize yourself with this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-rt-ac86u-ax88u.46164/
the first post is quite specific...but read well into the thread as it (as I recall) touches on running wireguard-go through entware on routers that don't meet the kernel spec.
TL;DR - you need to upgrade your router or find another way to try out WG. Maybe PiHole, with your ac66u-b1 as an AP?

I tried running a spare laptop with pfSense but that's not really practical. PiHole sounds a bit more practical, but for the money I'd be spending, I'd rather get one of these: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mv1000/

I generally don't mind messing around with this router, so if there is a method of curbing the kernel deficiency, I would try it.

Nope.
If you’re looking for a router that CAN run WireGuard, and are willing to spend some money, look at asus’ rt-ac86u or ax88. With one of these as a master, you’ll be able to mesh the current ac66 to it for better wifi coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.
If you’re looking for a router that CAN run WireGuard, and are willing to spend some money, look at asus’ rt-ac86u or ax88. With one of these as a master, you’ll be able to mesh the current ac66 to it for better wifi coverage.

I'm due a router upgrade anyway, so I'll probably grab an AX soon. Is the AX88U the only WG compatible version?

Not sure which kernels the other AX models use.

RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U all have a 4.1 kernel. However you will need someone to compile the kernel modules for your specific model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!