What's new

Does the latest AsusWRT/Merlin FW has a memory leak?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have noticed my AX88U Pro increasing by ~1% per day, never going down, never noticed this before, any idea?

I haven't gotten there yet, started at 44% about a week ago, when I last rebooted it, now its at 50%, it is working in AP mode, I'll keep observing it, maybe it will self adjust at some point

I haven't gotten there yet, started at 44% about a week ago, when I last rebooted it, now its at 50%, it is working in AP mode, I'll keep observing it, maybe it will self adjust at some point
My GT-AX6000 hovers around 97% after it has settled in... Linux is very efficient about memory management, and will change allocations, use swap if needed, etc... this is the way it was designed. Sitting at 40-50% seems underutilized to me. ;)

He’ll vote for that.

IMG_1707.jpeg

I think the original ASUS FW has some kind of memory leak, my AX88U Pro increases the memory usage by 1%/day, I have gotten to 80% and manually rebooted myself, I don't want to risk a crash while doing something important, maybe it will auto-fix at some point close to 100%, who knows, anybody experiencing something similar? Thanks

anybody experiencing something similar?

Tks for your post.

Currently my system has been up for 5 days 17 hour(s) 38 minute(s) 39 seconds. Had to reboot 5 days ago for an issue not related to my router. So, I guess my memory usage serves as a "early baseline".

My RAM memory usage is reported as 66%.
  • Used: 675 MB
  • Free: 349 MB
  • Total: 1024 MB

I will watch it for the next few days to see if it climbs up.

Tks for your post.

Currently my system has been up for 5 days 17 hour(s) 38 minute(s) 39 seconds. Had to reboot 5 days ago for an issue not related to my router. So, I guess my memory usage serves as a "early baseline".

My RAM memory usage is reported as 66%.
  • Used: 675 MB
  • Free: 349 MB
  • Total: 1024 MB

I will watch it for the next few days to see if it climbs up.
Thank you, I am using mine in AP mode, so my base line memory after a reboot is around 50-52%, last reboot was 3 days ago, now it is at 55% (558/467/1024)

A quick search would show that the router is almost certainly just using memory as a cache - as it's designed to. Unused memory is wasted memory, especially when that memory could be used to speed other things up.
If you were using the Merlin firmware, you'd be able to see how much of that memory is just cache, by using the ScMerlin extension.

A quick search would show that the router is almost certainly just using memory as a cache - as it's designed to. Unused memory is wasted memory, especially when that memory could be used to speed other things up.
If you were using the Merlin firmware, you'd be able to see how much of that memory is just cache, by using the ScMerlin extension.
I just checked with SSH and the free command:

1713028728683.png

I just checked with SSH and the free command:
When the RAM usage goes over 90%, and you think there might be something that's using "too much memory" and not releasing it, you could use the following script (available in GitHub) as a diagnostics tool to log some memory stats:
Bash:
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused \
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Martinski4GitHub/CustomMiscUtils/master/Diags/LogMemoryStats.sh \
-o /jffs/scripts/LogMemoryStats.sh && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/LogMemoryStats.sh

To get a snapshot of the current RAM stats simply run the script without any arguments:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/LogMemoryStats.sh

To log memory stats periodically over a few days, you could set up a cron job to run the script 1, 2, or 3 times a day to see if something seems out of the ordinary WRT RAM usage. Cron job example:
Bash:
cru a LogMemStats "0 */8 * * * /jffs/scripts/LogMemoryStats.sh"

## OR ##

cru a LogMemStats "0 6,12,18 * * * /jffs/scripts/LogMemoryStats.sh"

HTH

I agree 100% on the memory leak, both on Asus stock and Merlin, I started same thread:

The 9856 Beta Firmware has no leak. I have no USB attached, straight not complicated setup with about 45 connections. Averaged 1%/day leak.

CC

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!