What's new

Domain coming up for renewal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crimliar

Very Senior Member
In just a couple of months, my SquareSpace (was Google) domain comes up for renewal. The current domain name is pretty identifiable, as is the hostname of the router. While there are usually no open web-facing services on the network I had been considering using a long randomly generated domain name instead, to maybe add a little more obfuscation. But it seems as if this technique also used by rogue actors, may end up causing me problems.
So, any guidance on good practice for picking a new domain name and possibly hostname?
*My current (main) domain name is already unavailable in one country as it inadvertently contains a word considered very offensive there!

Don't overthink it - just get something that is easy for you to type and/or remember. Obfuscating the domain name or the hostname is a waste of time, as nobody is going to devote time trying random FQDNs. It would be faster for them to just scan entire IPv4 subnets than going through this - far fewer combinations to try out.

A lot of those apparently obfuscated names are just randomly generated for the sake of uniqueness.

A lot of those apparently obfuscated names are just randomly generated for the sake of uniqueness.

And some of those could get one black flagged as a suspected SPAM or malware host...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!