What's new

Need Help Setting Up Email Notifications for IP Changes on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wobbo

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I'm using an Asus RT-AC86U router with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and I'm facing some challenges in setting up a system to receive email notifications when my external IP address changes. My goal is to have the router automatically check for any IP changes periodically and then send an email notification to me, as I don't have a static IP address.

Initially, I tried to follow instructions for installing Entware and using `opkg` to set up the necessary packages for this task, but I ran into issues. Specifically, the installation script for Entware (http://entware.net/other/entware_install.sh) appears to be unavailable or outdated, leading to a dead end.

Has anyone successfully set up their Asuswrt-Merlin router to send email notifications for IP address changes? I'm looking for guidance or alternative methods to achieve this functionality. Any help, advice, or pointers towards useful resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Ernie

Initially, I tried to follow instructions for installing Entware and using `opkg` to set up the necessary packages for this task, but I ran into issues. Specifically, the installation script for Entware (http://entware.net/other/entware_install.sh) appears to be unavailable or outdated, leading to a dead end.
Those are indeed outdated instructions. An Entware installer is built into the Merlin firmware. Just SSH into the router and run amtm. Choose the appropriate option.

Has anyone successfully set up their Asuswrt-Merlin router to send email notifications for IP address changes?
I believe there's already a user script that does this, WICENS. Look at the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Hi,

The easy way is by installing WAN IP Change Email Notification Script (wicens) from amtm (enter "amtm" in ssh terminal).

Good luck!

What an adventure @Wobbo must have.
Trying for hours to achieve something, probably by googling some outdated websites and links.
Failing at that he’s admitting defeat and asking for help here.

And then be told that all this is just a few clicks away on the keyboard.
What a great community of supporters and script coders we have here.

I wanted to share that I have successfully executed the wi open WAN IP Notification command to receive email notifications when my WAN IP address changes. However, I've encountered a minor issue where I'm receiving two different sets of information in the script's output.

The first set of information displays:
[-##-] Current saved WAN IP : 123.456.789.10 (where '123.456.789.10' seems to be my actual email address).

The second set of information indicates: [FAIL] Current WAN IP is (with seemingly missing information).

The email notification I receive contains the following text:

### This is a TEST message ###
NOTICE
WAN IP for Wobbo. on RT-AC86U has changed
New WAN IP : x.x.x.x Test Mode
Old WAN IP : 123.456.789.10 my real mail ;-)
Old WAN IP recorded in script on : Sat Jan 13 2024 @ 20:51:16

WAN IP Lease time observed : 0h 6m 44sec

My question is: how can I ensure that the script is functioning correctly, considering the differing information and the [FAIL] message? Is this the normal operation of the script, or do I need to adjust something in my configuration?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I wanted to share that I have successfully executed the wi open WAN IP Notification command to receive email notifications when my WAN IP address changes. However, I've encountered a minor issue where I'm receiving two different sets of information in the script's output.

The first set of information displays:
[-##-] Current saved WAN IP : 123.456.789.10 (where '123.456.789.10' seems to be my actual email address).

The second set of information indicates: [FAIL] Current WAN IP is (with seemingly missing information).

The email notification I receive contains the following text:

### This is a TEST message ###
NOTICE
WAN IP for Wobbo. on RT-AC86U has changed
New WAN IP : x.x.x.x Test Mode
Old WAN IP : 123.456.789.10 my real mail ;-)
Old WAN IP recorded in script on : Sat Jan 13 2024 @ 20:51:16

WAN IP Lease time observed : 0h 6m 44sec

My question is: how can I ensure that the script is functioning correctly, considering the differing information and the [FAIL] message? Is this the normal operation of the script, or do I need to adjust something in my configuration?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Might want to post this in the Wiens thread, you can filter the forum by addons.

Can someone help me? I'm using WAN IP Notification. But he's using the wrong IP address. It has something to do with "bogon". So I created a Custom Script Run that gets the correct current IP address. Only WAN IP Notification will not use it. It only uses it if the wrong ID has been changed. How can I solve this?

What is the output of the following 2 commands?
Code:
nvram get wan0_ipaddr

sh /usr/sbin/getrealip.sh | grep -Eo "([0-9]{1,3}[\.]){3}[0-9]{1,3}"

You're not using dual wan correct?

Re-reading you original message from January I think I got confused on what your actual issue was.

Option T|t in wicens only tests that the Email functionality is working, it will always show [FAIL] when comparing IPs as its comparing x.x.x.x against your current saved WAN IP in test mode. This is normal.

Please read the last paragraph in the original post in the wicens thread for how to test if the script will work when the WAN IP changes (I can confidently say it will but is a good sanity check), note this will create a historical WAN IP record that will always appear unless you reset the script (option R|r) and start over.

You can also use option V|v in the menu to view the WAN IP that is currently saved that it compares against, when the script runs with wan-event or cron and it discovers your WAN IP is different (changed) it will update the script and Email you that the IP has changed.

If the WAN IP listed under option V|v is incorrect let me know.

After experiencing issues with receiving email notifications for IP changes on my RT-AC86U, I reached out to my internet service provider for assistance. They informed me that my con nection shared an IP address with other customers, which was the root cause of the issue. To resolve this, they assigned me a automatic IP address, ensuring I now have my own unique IP. This change has successfully resolved my problem, allowing me to receive email notifications for IP changes as intended. Additionally, this dedicated IP enables me to effectively use WAN - DDNS services and my WireGuard VPN. I've set up a Raspberry Pi 3B with Pi-hole for network-wide ad-blocking and a Raspberry Pi 4B running WireGuard. Thanks to DDNS from asuscomm.com, I can consistently access my network, utilizing my Pi-hole, and route my traffic through NordVPN. I deeply appreciate your time and help in addressing this issue and enabling these functionalities.Thanks all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!