What's new

DOS Protection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have it on as well. I haven't noticed any performance degradation. It's better to have it on imo in case one day comes where you're happy you had it on :D.

My bigger question for you is why you're still on the stock ASUS firmware? The first thing I would do if I were you is follow @L&LD router reset procedure (check out his signature) and then install the latest Merlin Firmware. Its IONS better than the stock ASUS firmware.

Then, depending on how much luxury you'd like to bestow on your network, I would recommend you start by installing AMTM and then working your way through the insanely useful scripts found in it (i.e. Diversion, Stubby, Skynet at minimum)

Your network will be forever grateful I promise!

Just my 2 cents :)

I have it on as well. I haven't noticed any performance degradation. It's better to have it on imo in case one day comes where you're happy you had it on :D.

My bigger question for you is why you're still on the stock ASUS firmware? The first thing I would do if I were you is follow @L&LD router reset procedure (check out his signature) and then install the latest Merlin Firmware. Its IONS better than the stock ASUS firmware.

Then, depending on how much luxury you'd like to bestow on your network, I would recommend you start by installing AMTM and then working your way through the insanely useful scripts found in it (i.e. Diversion, Stubby, Skynet at minimum)

Your network will be forever grateful I promise!

Just my 2 cents :)
TY,

I like to be able to treat my router like an appliance, requiring minimal attention to detail. This leads me to go with the stock configuration. But, I am open to consider genuine improvements.

Questions about Merlin firmware:

1. Does the Merlin firmware automatically check to see if it is up-to-date or if there is an update available?

2. Is all the Trend Micro stuff included?

3. Are there any significant features missing?

4. What improvements or enhancements are there? In what ways is it "better than the stock ASUS firmware?"

5. Do those other recommendations (Diversion, Stubby, Skynet) require Merlin or can they be used with the stock ASUS firmware?

1. Does the Merlin firmware automatically check to see if it is up-to-date or if there is an update available?
Absolutely.

Yup.

Not at all. Quite the contrary, there are more fine tuned details in the Merlin Firmware. Think of Merlin of a Rolls Royce upgrade to the stock ASUS firmware.

4. What improvements or enhancements are there? In what ways is it "better than the stock ASUS firmware?"
Too long to list unfortunately but there are tons. A quick search on these forums (or the internet in general) should quickly confirm this.

5. Do those other recommendations (Diversion, Stubby, Skynet) require Merlin or can they be used with the stock ASUS firmware?
That's a good question; I'm not entirely sure but I would assume that they would run on both. Generally speaking though, your router can only benefit from the Merlin Firmware. I've had tons of issues with the ASUS firmware in the past and none since upgrading.

Not 100% sure, I think so.

Yes

AiMesh

See the instructions.

They require Merlin.

On both there is no auto-update (and you should be happy about it because of often newly with new features introduced bugs)!
Stock makes it a bit easier as you can look into the router and click update if you see the exclamation mark on top.
Merlin will show that there is a new version available too, but you have to go to his download-page, get the file, unzip it and upload to the router.

For the rest ColinTaylor is right - and #TY just a fan not knowing the differences!

[QUOTE="TY just a fan not knowing the differences![/QUOTE]

Which part of my answer was incorrect or inaccurate exactly?

And yes I am a fan, just like everyone else that comes to these forums.

AiMesh is most likely left out intentionally because it doesn’t work reliably. I wouldn’t exactly call it missing. The Merlin Firmware focuses on stability and efficiency rather than marketing half baked crap.

Last edited:
Which part of my answer was incorrect or inaccurate exactly?

And yes I am a fan, just like everyone else that comes to these forums.
1. no, you have to download Merlin firmware and install it manually! Stock only a click on update - done!
3. Aimesh used by many is not available on Merlin
5. no, wrong assumption, for those scripts asked for you will need Merlin.

3 out of 5 questions answered incorrect (or not fully answered like the first), makes 60% fault ;)
Even if he did not explicitly ask for update process it is relevant for someone like him wanting it as easy as possible (as he wrote in his post).

I liked Merlin's firmware too, much more than stock, but there are differences relevant for some.
Most members here are fixed on Merlin, and they have a good reason to do, but dont forget the others!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="1. no, you have to download Merlin firmware and install it manually! Stock only a click on update - done![/QUOTE]

Did you actually READ his question properly? He was asking if Merlin CHECKS for an update, and NOT if it auto updates.

[QUOTE="3. Aimesh used by many is not available on Merlin[/QUOTE]

He said he had ONE router used for basic needs. AiMesh is irrelevant for him even if it were included. Also, if it was that good of an implementation, I’m sure it would have been included in the firmware. There is no established standard for AiMesh.

[QUOTE="5. no, wrong assumption, for those scripts asked for you will need Merlin.[/QUOTE)

In my answer, I said I wasn’t entirely sure.

Please re-read things properly before making incorrect assumptions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!