What's new

DoT not working at all with NextDNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RejZoR

Regular Contributor
Before, NextDNS was glitchy and often dropped connection randomly. But it worked. Now if I enable DoT on router in Merlin and input NextDNS info, everything is just dead. Entirely. I absolutely have to install NextDNS CLI on router and it's a bit annoying. Why is it so? Has something changed that it just doesn't work anymore?

Here are the NextDNS settings that will have to be added manually at: DNS-over-TLS Server List (Max Limit : 8)
IPV4
45.90.28.0 f39445.dns1.nextdns.io
45.90.30.0 f39445.dns2.nextdns.io

IPV6 (do not add if using only IPV4)
2a07:a8c0::0 f39445.dns1.nextdns.io
2a07:a8c1::0 f39445.dns2.nextdns.io

Would suggest not enabling DNSSEC at first. No reason why these settings should not work.

If you continue to have issues, which you may with NextDNS, just use Quad9.

Switch DoT profile from strict to opportunistic
Before, NextDNS was glitchy and often dropped connection randomly. But it worked. Now if I enable DoT on router in Merlin and input NextDNS info, everything is just dead. Entirely. I absolutely have to install NextDNS CLI on router and it's a bit annoying. Why is it so? Has something changed that it just doesn't work anymore?

This is your unique identifier for nextdns. You should redact it.
Nope. copied those from the NextDNS website. Don't use it and never will...

Switch DoT profile from strict to opportunistic
How come in the past this wasn't an issue, but is now? There were other issues, but not with this setting in particular. Is this by any chance related to DNSSEC ? Only small number of webpages is validated with it and the rest probably got rejected and thus nothing worked. COuld be it was just broken in the past which is why it worked anyway...

I had to disable "Enable DoS protection" on the firewall tab.. I'm considering alternatives at the moment.