What's new

Downgrade from 384.19 to 3.0.0.4_386_40451 stock asus firmware for RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aldione

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Someone can tell me step by step to downgrade my router to the stock firmware?

I'm having a lot of issues with Aimesh and i want to install Aimesh2.0.

Thanks!

Just download the new firmware to your PC and install it at Administration > Firmware Upgrade. After it has finished installing and has rebooted do a factory reset.

What kind of issues did you have?
Mine on stock was working flawlessly for over 2 weeks, with latest merlin wireless networks are turning off themselves randomly. Sometimes its 2.4, sometimes 5GHz. Channel is 0, on the main router page only half of the wireless indicator is green. Reverting back to stock now

What kind of issues did you have?
Mine on stock was working flawlessly for over 2 weeks, with latest merlin wireless networks are turning off themselves randomly. Sometimes its 2.4, sometimes 5GHz. Channel is 0, on the main router page only half of the wireless indicator is green. Reverting back to stock now
Well, I installed the stock firmware and now it's working fine. It just happen on the 2.4GHz

I am about to do the same and "revert" to 386 stock on my RT-AC86U. On 384.19 I've been seeing lots of odd behaviors the past week (have been on it for about 2 months). Odd behaviors include wireless signal disappearing, guest network disappearing, USB drives disappearing, static IPs not being honored, and port forwarding settings disappearing. Enough weird behaviors that it makes me wonder if it might be a hardware problem but want to try a fresh install of factory firmware first.

For me the odd behaviours started couple of hours after reflashing to merlin. 1st the 2.4GHz wireless vanished, had to restart the router. But then it starts to repeating itself, sometimes it was 2.4, sometimes 5GHz - every few fours. Tried for 2 days to resolve the problem but give up. Reflashed to 386, restored the config and 12hrs passed - no problems.
On merlin I've used an 32GB USB3 stick in USB3 socket, ext4 and diversion standard + skynet only. Done that straight away, so no idea if it would be stable without any mods.

make sure you wipe any configs when switching to merlin or switching back to stock to avoid "odd behavior"

Actually this would be considered upgrading since you are going from 384 to 386 code... the direction that ASUS would expect their customers to go in normal upgrade scenarios. If you go from the newer stock 386_xxxxx code back to 384, you will be guaranteed to have problems WITHOUT a factory reset. Bottom line, you can go any direction to any code rev and reset to factory when going backwards or making large version jumps forward, and you should have good results.
FWIW - I have 2 RT-AC86Us in AI Mesh, Smart Connect enabled, running Merlin 384.19 with a few light-weight addons and stability is fine and my uptime is closing in on 60 days. I think 384.19 got a lot of bad press due to the jffs resizing but its been good to me.

I have to admit, that swap from 386 stock to 384 merlin was without hard reset. didn't want to lose all dhcp settings. Yesterday i've received second ac86u and uploaded merlin into it. This time I've done hard reset afterwards, installed diversion and skynet same way as before. 16hrs of uptime so far and both wireless networks works as intended. The only difference there is no load on it, just 1 wireless client connected to it as a test.
Does mentioned JFFS need to be format as a part of hard reset as well?

From the release notes for 384.19:

IMPORTANT: due to a flash partition layout change from Asus on the RT-AC86U, the JFFS partition content for that model may be missing or corrupted following the upgrade to 384.19. Make sure you make a backup of your JFFS partition before upgrading. If you run into issues, then reformat the JFFS partition (don`t forget to reboot), then restore your JFFS backup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!