What's new

DS1813+ review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digitalfreak

Occasional Visitor
Tim,

Could you do some tests with 3 or 4 of the NICs aggregated? I'm curious to see if throughput improves with than a single NIC can handle.

One minor addition - the DS1512+/1812+ come with 1GB RAM, expandable to a total of 3GB maximum with the addition of more memory. The DS1513+/1813+ come standard with 2GB RAM, which can be expanded to 4GB RAM maximum (1GB more than the older unit). That said, with 3GB in my 1512+, I've never come close to using even half of the available memory, but I don't have a DX513 expansion cabinet yet...

Does anyone know what can be used in the PCIe slot? There is no cutout in the chassis for expansion cards.

It would be nice if there was a way to hack this unit to accept a 10gbe card...

If the 10GBe card isn't supported in the firmware, I don't think it would be too easy to add. Unless you can bribe the DSM firmware writers. :)

If the 10GBe card isn't supported in the firmware, I don't think it would be too easy to add. Unless you can bribe the DSM firmware writers. :)

Cmon there has to be a Linux ninja out there somewhere that can cook the drivers into the firmware. I'll chip in $100 to the bounty. That is if the PCIe can support a 10Gbe card and there is a reasonable way to do a cutout...

Cmon there has to be a Linux ninja out there somewhere that can cook the drivers into the firmware. I'll chip in $100 to the bounty. That is if the PCIe can support a 10Gbe card and there is a reasonable way to do a cutout...

$100? Okay! I'm downloading Linux for L&LD's right now.

The PCIe will support a 10GBe card - (I'll make it work!!!) and the cutout is easy. How skilled are you with a chainsaw? :)

Seriously, I hope someone can respond favorably to your request. It would be cool to see a NAS mod as it unfolds. ;)

$100? Okay! I'm downloading Linux for L&LD's right now.

The PCIe will support a 10GBe card - (I'll make it work!!!) and the cutout is easy. How skilled are you with a chainsaw? :)

Seriously, I hope someone can respond favorably to your request. It would be cool to see a NAS mod as it unfolds. ;)

Well it may be a lost cause...there appear to be two PCie slots in this image, one of which looks like an x1 and the other an x4. Not sure if there are any ribbons going into the x4 or if it is otherwise spoken for (my ds1813+ is being shipped to me as we speak so I haven't opened one up yet). In any case, looks like most of the 10Gbe cards require x8.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images/stories/nas/synology_ds1813plus/synology_ds1813plus_board.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!