What's new

RT-AX86U Pro personalize 2.5 port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tshephard

New Around Here
OK - one of my 5 year upgrades....

I am getting a RT-AX86U Pro.
Ports seem to be ID'd as 2.5, WAN, 4xLAN (1st 'Game')
I'm reading on the 2.5 port, to some confusion.

My usage is:
Not a gamer, buy cheap Fios (300M), an elder couple that ONLY ever watches a single stream together (I've seen 100M).
So, our 'outside to inside' data rate demands are rather low.

HOWEVER, I do perform LARGE (50G) file/directory backups, internal to the house, through a 'server' that has multiple 1G NICs.

I am confused that the 2.5 is NOT MARKED 'WAN'.
Does that mean that I can 'assign' it to either the WAN side or the LAN side?
(I want to assume that the 2.5 could be as I hope, otherwise why not mark it WAN?)

If I can assign it to LAN, can I then aggregate it with another LAN (as they describe for the WAN connection...)
I could see: 2 cables from my Router (aggregated 2.5 and a LAN) going to the 'server' (with 2 NICs aggregated) getting close to the max Wifi speed.

Is this a valid use, and why the 2.5 is not marked WAN?

THX guys

Yes.

If I can assign it to LAN, can I then aggregate it with another LAN (as they describe for the WAN connection...)
I could see: 2 cables from my Router (aggregated 2.5 and a LAN) going to the 'server' (with 2 NICs aggregated) getting close to the max Wifi speed.
No. Link aggregation is only possible with two connections of the same speed. Therefore you can only combine two 1GbE LAN ports.

I/O Ports
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4
Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports + one (1)
2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- LAN: 4xGbE (2x port aggregation LAN)
-- WAN: 1 GbE
-- WAN/LAN: 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- Multi-Gig: Ability to aggregate two Gigabit LAN ports and two Gigabit WAN ports (configurable) concurrently.
USB 3.2 Gen1 x1, 2.0 x1

Last edited:
OK - one of my 5 year upgrades....

I am getting a RT-AX86U Pro.
Ports seem to be ID'd as 2.5, WAN, 4xLAN (1st 'Game')
I'm reading on the 2.5 port, to some confusion.

My usage is:
Not a gamer, buy cheap Fios (300M), an elder couple that ONLY ever watches a single stream together (I've seen 100M).
So, our 'outside to inside' data rate demands are rather low.

HOWEVER, I do perform LARGE (50G) file/directory backups, internal to the house, through a 'server' that has multiple 1G NICs.

(I want to assume that the 2.5 could be as I hope, otherwise why not mark it WAN?)

Is this a valid use, and why the 2.5 is not marked WAN?

THX guys

The Primary WAN defaults to 1G WAN. The 2.5G port defaults to LAN5 after Quick Internet Setup (QIS), or to WAN on a node with a wired backhaul.

Otherwise, set Primary WAN to 2.5G port; wire 2.5G port to modem (default WAN becomes LAN5 after reboot).

OE

Yes it can be configured for either WAN or for LAN. Asus support has a document detailing how to configure the 2.5Gb port for WAN use:
[Wireless Router] How to set 2.5G port as WAN type?

As to your question about trying to get link aggregation or faster speed to the LAN device connected to the 2.5Gb port, see the other replies above. Generally if the LAN client doesn't have a 2.5Gb (or faster) Ethernet port then one can look into other options, like using a USB 2.5Gb ethernet port adapter if one's LAN client supports USB 3.0 (or faster) to try and get faster than 1Gb speed from the router.

Personally I have a NAS connected to my RT-AX86U Pro's 2.5Gb port even though the NAS doesn't have a 2.5Gb or faster Ethernet port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!