What's new

dsl ac68 u any good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

userlee5267

Occasional Visitor
Hello all new here

Bought the dsl ac68u from currys after good reviews there. But upon looking for settings I'm Getting reviews of how bad it is.

Is there any settings I need To set it up today? Does Anybody have settings for bt infinity 2?

Hearing mixed login details for Vdsl2?

Thanks

Can't help with the details you're asking about, but I can suggest considering using @GNUton's RMerlin fork for your DSL router. A much more stable and as fast, or faster, networking experience along with many more options and customizations are what that will offer you.

The latest version of GNUton firmware on the 386 branch is in development but there is a stable version of 384.

You can learn more from the following two threads respectively...

It's generally recommended that you fully reset and re-configure the router when changing between stock and merlin firmware. Search if there are no details in the two threads above.

In addition the merlin firmware will also allow the use of scripts with AMTM recommended.

Last edited:
Cheers got the router going with merlin

I bought this router to replace the bt smart hub which was generally running constantly slow.

Upon setting up the asus ac68u my ping was better, my jitter was 0 and speed was nearing 80mb.

All good for a week rock steady on all devices getting a good 60 to 80mb all day and night.

Fast forward to last night its almost as if bt have done something to make it act like the bt smart hub. Jitters up to 30ms ps5 gaming is laggy, pings going up and down and speeds are 20mb to 30mb. It's as if they do something to the line. It's the same as the smart hub now.

When I phone they blame my setup etc. Which I know is right as it runs nearly 80mb constantly for 4 days. Which it did for near a year with the smart hub.

I think I'm being throttled as once that jitter goes up I suffer bad speeds.

It seems to have taken a hit since lockdown. I think there over subscribed in the exchange

OP, the DSL-AC86U is notoriously unstable for use on UK FTTC lines, I would bin it immediately and never use it again. This is all down to the horrible Mediatek DSL chipset it uses, there are far far better routers out there. If you want to stick to Asus, i would highly recommend the DSL-AC88U (uses a broadcom DSL chipset).

Not good. Asked to Return it to currys. What tp link router would you recommend as I have had these before.

Also what routers would you recommend £100 to £140

Thanks

If you want to buy a TP Link router, then I would highly recommend the VR2800 or VR900. Both use Broadcom DSL chipsets.

Hello sorted my returns of my ac68u. And now I'm Debating the ac88u or the vr2800 tplink. Which would people suggest out of then two. Dont want a 2 router setup really

Hello sorted my returns of my ac68u. And now I'm Debating the ac88u or the vr2800 tplink. Which would people suggest out of then two. Dont want a 2 router setup really
I would go for the VR2800, its got excellent wifi range and a solid Broadcom DSL chipset.

Strange im not having any luck with this vr2800 v1 either. Connected Well got good wifi. But was so unstable constant drop outs.

And if i uploaded anything or the upload part of a speed test would knock every device offline. Bbc iplayer wouldn't work and online gaming players would start floating until it had finished uploading

Even tried using the qos and putting devices in hign priority but that didn't Work either.

Its going back also

BT Smart Hub, DSL-AC68U and the VR2800 have problems so this does not suggest the router being the common factor...

Have you got stats of your SNR/Attentuation, checked whether there is noise on your line, removed any ring wiring in your house for other telephone sockets, got a filtered faceplate?

The other alternative is to try a different ISP that is ranked for customer service so they might help identify the problem; assuming you're with BT as the issue appears to have started with the SmartHub having a slow connection compared to what you were expecting.

Good luck...

Screenshot_20210128-172214_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210128-185302_Chrome.jpg

The bt hub is good i get 70mb and 20mb now no problem after bt did some work there end.... (this is were i think the problem lies) i dont know what they did but i cant even turn of bt sheild thing now

I wanted better wifi because bt one isn't very good. Ive done a quite line test and its silent. Tried different filters etc.

But when going back to bt home hub i don't get the same issues using 3rd party routers give me

It appears that your line is more than capable of holding 80/20 you are currently signed up for and your SNR is good; do you live in the roadside cabinet? ;)

Can't comment on either anything BT as on another ISP, or why other third party routers give you a problem as this is beyond my ability.

If, as you appear to be saying, the problem with the BT Router is predominantly wifi coverage/signal get some homeplug wifi extenders (if you choose TP-Link change the Powerline AV name in case your neighbours are using the same default name as it took me a few months to work out why I was seeing their devices on my network :D!)

Ever so annoying ive spent the best part of 300 quid. Im 100% sure i had problems like this with Vodafone when it was peak times

The other thing you have probably tried, but I mention it in case you haven't, is analysing your WIFI signals (lots of apps for your phone) to try and find less congested 20/80Mhz channel if you live in a built up area (assuming you can change them on the SmartHub).

Although I'd have thought most home networks are being hammered at the moment so peak time is an fairly wide period so contention at the exchange would be more common plus wireless interference would be similar.

The BT Hub uses a Lantiq DSL chipset, which sometimes plays better if you're connected to an ECI FTTC cabinet. It might be worth trying out the Netgear D7800 which offers the best of both worlds - uses a Lantiq chipset and and has great wifi coverage.

I did have last year a vr900 connected with sky and it was awesome

But with bt nothing seems to work im guessing the work bt have done is stopping me using the router. I was emailing the CEO and he was helpful but now ive mentioned im using another router im getting no replys. i went to him as phone help was rubbish. he sorted problems asap my speeds went back up as he says there was a few issues there end

Ive tried these wifi coverage apps for best channels but dont get them? Whats the best one

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!