What's new

Dsl-AC68u cfw merlin issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is a very big difference between AP mode and Repeater mode. Anytime the Repeater is in use, the effective ISP speeds are halved, and affects all WiFi clients connected. :(

I would be curious to see how the router behaves with the actual GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL devices for it (second post above).

Too bad a proper WAN port is missing on this model. Wonder if anything can be done to convert an RJ-45 connection to an RJ-11?

Wiring an AP doesn't have to be a huge mess. There are flat Ethernet cables available that will make them effectively disappear (behind baseboards or under carpeting). :)

Speed is halved!? Jesus I got to wire it then! :D
In the box it says adsl, vdsl and fiber router, so there is probably a way to use fiber optic on it..
I would love if I could use it as the main router too and use a tp link archer ac1200 or something as ap mode wirelessly since tp link offers that option in most of their ap router.. but for now I think my hardware is pretty much fine for now or maybe I should change the main router.. What should a man do to get proper wifi these days!?:(
I'll consider the wiring solution since you insist on using it, and you have my thanks for that as well :)

Anytime the Repeater is in use, the effective ISP speeds are halved, and affects all WiFi clients connected.
This is incorrect. In repeater mode wireless transmissions are doubled (router to repeater and then repeater to client) so throughput is halved across your local wireless network compared to a router to client setup. Provided the wireless link speeds either side of the repeater are double that of your ISP speeds it should have minimal effect on your ISP to client speed.

@Ahmed Have you tested your 5GHz again with your friend's iPhone?

This is incorrect. In repeater mode wireless transmissions are doubled (router to repeater and then repeater to client) so throughput is halved across your local wireless network compared to a router to client setup. Provided the wireless link speeds either side of the repeater are double that of your ISP speeds it should have minimal effect on your ISP to client speed.

@Ahmed Have you tested your 5GHz again with your friend's iPhone?
I think you're right about speed, because I have just run a speed test connecting an ethernet cable to a computer and I got 97mbps so speed is fine! However wifi never exceeds 35mbps!
The guy didn't show up yet so I didn't test it yet, sorry..
So what if my friend's mobile can detect it again, what would that mean?
Do you recommend the wps reset and the upgrade via router's GUI to version 384.11_1 suggested by L&LLD ?

Yes, wireless speeds are halved, not ISP speeds. Even if in many cases the net effect is the same. :)

The other speed benefits to a wired AP vs a Repeater is that the WiFi hit is that the inefficiency of WiFi is felt twice with each transmission on that link, vs. once with the AP. That can account for the 35Mbps vs. 97Mbps differences in the testing done above. :)

Yes, wireless speeds are halved, not ISP speeds. Even if in many cases the net effect is the same. :)

The other speed benefits to a wired AP vs a Repeater is that the WiFi hit is that the inefficiency of WiFi is felt twice with each transmission on that link, vs. once with the AP. That can account for the 35Mbps vs. 97Mbps differences in the testing done above. :)
That make sens according to what you've just said,I still believe my main router is terrible and I need to change it if I want full speed wifi..
You still think I need to reset the NVRAM and update the firmware?

That make sens according to what you've just said,I still believe my main router is terrible and I need to change it if I want full speed wifi..
You still think I need to reset the NVRAM and update the firmware?

If you're still seeing otherwise random glitches or unexplainable behavior, yes, that is what I would have done to eliminate inter-firmware interactions from clouding the real issue (if it still exists afterward).

What do you think about my last message guys?
I've lost track of which firmware version you're currently using, but if it's still Merlin's then realise that your router is not a supported model so you're largely on your own with that. As @L&LD said, there is now a supported firmware for the DSL-AC68U here, but also realise that it has only existed for less than two months.

Regarding your current throughput of 35 Mbps; what is the exact model number of the ZTE and how far away is it from the Asus? Also, how far away from the Asus is your PC? I'd guess that even under ideal conditions you're never going to get over 70 Mbps using the ZTE.

You never got back to us with the testing of the 5GHz on your friend's iPhone.

Okay so i don't get what you guys mean by my model is not supported cause if it wasn't then why did I successfully flashed the router, and yet it was on the models list in merlin website.
Randomn glitches well sometimes I feel that the wifi snaps out and it doesn't work for few seconds but honestly it's not that big of a deal expect for the ip adress that Have to set in every device and that's quite annoying..
Regarding 5G wifi its absolutely 100% confirmed no device can detect it but iPhones, an iPhone 8 (product red) and a 6S plus can detect it use it surf on the web no problem and the speed it's about the same as 2.4ghz that's odd!
My router shows that an update is available so I'll try it and try the nvram reset at the same time using recovery mode just to make sure it's a clean upgrade.
The distance between zte 660 and Asus is about -63db means good signal but not great..

Okay so i don't get what you guys mean by my model is not supported cause if it wasn't then why did I successfully flashed the router, and yet it was on the models list in merlin website.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about
Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:

• RT-AC66U_B1 (same firmware as the RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68U (including revisions C1 and E1)
  • RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC87
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
  • RT-AC1900 (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC1900P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC86U (starting with version 382.1)
  • RT-AC2900 (same firmware as RT-AC86U)
  • RT-AX88U
I have recently flashed a dsl-ac68u
The DSL model is not in that list

Randomn glitches well sometimes I feel that the wifi snaps out and it doesn't work for few seconds but honestly it's not that big of a deal expect for the ip adress that Have to set in every device and that's quite annoying..
Regarding 5G wifi its absolutely 100% confirmed no device can detect it but iPhones, an iPhone 8 (product red) and a 6S plus can detect it use it surf on the web no problem and the speed it's about the same as 2.4ghz that's odd!
My router shows that an update is available so I'll try it and try the nvram reset at the same time using recovery mode just to make sure it's a clean upgrade.
The distance between zte 660 and Asus is about -63db means good signal but not great..

I really can't fathom why you're not trying the GTUton release, which fully supports your model, considering all the issues you have above?

Just because you can flash firmware onto a router, doesn't mean it will be supported. Also, '-63db' is a signal strength indicator, not a distance indicator (a device can have better or worse 'dBm' values and not correspond to how far it is from the transceiver).

Have you performed an M&M Config reset yet?

did you ever try to change 5G to fix channel 36? Not all clients support all channels!

And no, Merlin never supported DSL-type modems only RT.
Thats why GNUton did the incredible work and made a Merlin style firmware for DSL.
And why do you trust Merlin more than GNUton? They both could be paid by NSA or whomever and wont tell you :p
They both use github and you can look at their firmware code or compile it on your own!

Last edited:
I had no idea there was another custom firmware for dsl-ac68u, I thought that was the only solution to get my router to become a repeater wirelessly!
Can you please send me the link so I'll fladh the other firmware instead? And please note that I only intend to use it as repeater or access point and not as a router..
The RT-AC68u and the dsl-ac68u have the exact same hardware, this is why the firmwares are interchangeable, a dsl can be become an rt and work faster I guess since the modem functionalities are being dumped, so when Merlin listed RT-AC68u on the list, I Knew dsl-ac68u was also included!
The distance between my zte and asus is probably less than 20 meters, but lots of obstacles, router gotta be changed and it's location for sure, that would undoubtedly increase the bandwidth since the signal is gonna increase as well..
I'm gonna do the following: flash back the Asus to its official fw until I get 5ghz wifi detectable by all devices.
Then do a full nvram reset and flash it again to the cfw Grisu and l&ld recommended.
Then fnally configure it as a repeater and test it throughout the day.
Ps: I don't have any settings for the wifi channels when in repeater mode.
Ps2: Is m&m config reset nvram reset?

They are not exactly the same hardware but similar enough to be flashed with the wrong one. Merlin wont make it faster if you dont use DSL part (turned off in router).
A link to GNUton's firmware has been given in the very first answer of this thread!!! https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-cfw-merlin-issues.56613/#post-490774
M&M reset and configuration is good all times you have any trouble and even if there are no at the moment and you make a huge firmware change from AsusWRT to Merlin/GNUton. Back to Asus it should be done every time!

Just to think about, routing tables cant be the same on RT and DSL, as there is no DSL port on RT-type routers while DSL got no WAN port! There maybe some default values so it can work however with more or less issues.

I know it's the not the exact hardware since the dsl version has a built in modem that rt doesn't have, but when you flash a software it all depends on the cpu, gpu and ram I suppose, and they seemtl to have both the same hardware, that's what I meant.
I would appreciate another link of the second fw you suggested please, as we've been thought lot of discussions before and I might get lost or smtg..
I'm experiencing lots of cut offs recently tho! Anytime I don't have internet on the asus I immediately test the source router and I get internet no problem..
An nvram reset and a fw upgrade are on the way I'll let you guys know..

so when Merlin listed RT-AC68u on the list, I Knew dsl-ac68u was also included!

No, the DSL-AC68U was never supported. DSL models can be radically different sometimes. For instance, the DSL-AC87U doesn't even run Asuswrt but a different firmware.

No, the DSL-AC68U was never supported. DSL models can be radically different sometimes. For instance, the DSL-AC87U doesn't even run Asuswrt but a different firmware.
Okay, so what do you suggest, to put it back to asus official firmware? I wouldn't be able to use it as a repeater..
Or Should I flash that second custom firmware GNUton or something?

Okay, so what do you suggest, to put it back to asus official firmware? I wouldn't be able to use it as a repeater..
Or Should I flash that second custom firmware GNUton or something?

Use GNUton's fork.