What's new

Dsl-AC68u cfw merlin issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jesus christ! It was there all the time! How stupid of me not to notice that!
Thank you !
Will flash it later on going through nvram reset and all then will update you guys!

it was given to you in post 2 of this thread - took you till post 41 to find it !!

it was given to you in post 2 of this thread - took you till post 41 to find it !!
I didn't understand the difference between Merlin asuswrt and GNUton or whatever the name was, I thought he was making sure I got the latest release or build of the fw or something..
And that 2nd post didn't say use GNUton instead and here's the link, but it said here is a fw page for your router, I was like I don't need a fw, I'm done with that, just need some walkthrough config and stuff so..:D

Okay, can you then please kindly send the link of that fw for my asus DSL-AC68U ?
I've tried googling the gnuton fw I always land on merlin Asuswrt.
Thank you!

Look at post 2. I gave you that link on May 15th. :)

Look at post 2. I gave you that link on May 15th. :)
You did and you also gave me directives and instructions to reset my router, including the NVRAM, and bunch of stuff and I appreciate that..
I just thought at that moment that I didn't need to change the fw.:rolleyes:

I was right not to download gnuton2 or whatever.
I'm under the impression that no body understood why I really created this thread!
Did you guys realize that gnuton2 that l&LD suggested days ago, is definitely something I don't need??
I flashed it, it doesn't have repeater or ap mode settings, and I told you guys that the ultimate and unique reason why I bought this router, is to make it work as a repeater or access point!
I nvram reset 3 times, I even flashed the official firmware from asus.com and tried over 3 versions, desperately to get back 5G wifi but same thing, no 5G could be detected in all 3 firmwares.
So gnuton2, definitely don't need it, going back to official version not solving my 5G wifi, conclusion I'm back to merlin 384.11 same that I had, couldn't flash the _2 cause it was not supported via the GUI nor asus rescue mode, now here are my problems:

-Internet disruption is very very frequent.
-No 5G wifi except for iPhone(can't change channels or whatsoever in repeater mode, just password, ssid and encryption type).
-No full bandwidth when in Wifi.
-DHCP will never provide a valid ip address for ALL MY DEVICES (UHD SMART TV, IPAD, ANDROID, ANDROID BOX, IPHONE..) and even via ethernet, so I have to force the IP adress everytime.

I don't see any other firmware I could flash, so that's not an option, to sum it up, I think I'm stuck.

you bought a DSL-modemrouter, but what you need is a router!
DHCP must be provided from your main router, a repeater wont do that.
You could change wifi channels with SSH and proper commands.
But sell it and get an RT-AC68U instead, then you will have what you need and want.

You can disable DHCP and all router related things, than it will act as AP too without puting to AP-mode.

you bought a DSL-modemrouter, but what you need is a router!
DHCP must be provided from your main router, a repeater wont do that.
You could change wifi channels with SSH and proper commands.
But sell it and get an RT-AC68U instead, then you will have what you need and want.

You can disable DHCP and all router related things, than it will act as AP too without puting to AP-mode.
I found a great deal and bought that router, it was so cheap and conveniant!
I gave Like 3 routers and 30$ or something and I read online that I could use it as an RT-AC68u! And it's true I'm using it as it is, but you're right not the right move for me..
I would love to ssh into my router and change the channels and stuff, cause I think it's doable, but why did that merlin guy or whatever didn't include that option , isn't it supposed to be a cfw that includes all features that asus didn't think of or had missed or something, common, changing channels should be included in repeater mode..
I don't think I can find a RT-AC68u in Morocco online, I'm visiting my parents house and trying to find a permanent solution for them, if I was still in where I live in Canada then for sure I would have ordered something solid..
Do you think I can flash the official RT-AC68u fw into this DSL-AC68U using rescue mode without any problems?

AP and repeater mode are not included in DSL AsusWRT and Merlin only adds his features to AsusWRT where AP and repeater are given for RT routers.
Why should Gnuton develop it only for you for free and not even a handshake???
That would be some days hard work to do so for him!
He did a great work for most users of this modem to get Merlin features on it - he earned all our full respect!!!
You could learn programming and do it on your own ...

Best you can do now is use them in router mode with one LAN as WAN port, double NAT is not the problem if you dont need port forwards and special configs.
If they only need internet access it would be fine as it is.
Or like I wrote set a fix IP on router from range of your modem's DHCP, disable DHCP and WAN/DSL-routing then it is in a quasi AP mode.
Some flashed with RT firmware, but I dont know if they ever got them running without troubles or which modes they could use.

Better sell them maybe for more than you paied, there are users out there with use for a modemrouter as it is. I sold mine years ago too.

AP and repeater mode are not included in DSL AsusWRT and Merlin only adds his features to AsusWRT where AP and repeater are given for RT routers.
Why should Gnuton develop it only for you for free and not even a handshake???
That would be some days hard work to do so for him!
He did a great work for most users of this modem to get Merlin features on it - he earned all our full respect!!!
You could learn programming and do it on your own ...

Best you can do now is use them in router mode with one LAN as WAN port, double NAT is not the problem if you dont need port forwards and special configs.
If they only need internet access it would be fine as it is.
Or like I wrote set a fix IP on router from range of your modem's DHCP, disable DHCP and WAN/DSL-routing then it is in a quasi AP mode.
Some flashed with RT firmware, but I dont know if they ever got them running without troubles or which modes they could use.

Better sell them maybe for more than you paied, there are users out there with use for a modemrouter as it is. I sold mine years ago too.
You don't have to defend the develloper to make a point I didn't assault him or his work, I said I don't need his firmware, cause I don't need dsl features!
I said merlin cfw could have some channel settings for wifi, that was my only notice, and I would shake his hands no problem!
I guess you are suggesting using a ethernet cable and setting it as an ap mode instead of repeater mode, and I think I should do it, cause I had problems with repeaters in the past anyway..
If with that option I don't get good results from using ap mode, I'm pretty selling it!
What about those ssh commands to change channels?

Thats exactly your faulty thinking!
You would need Gnutons firmware as only he makes one for your DSL and Merlin does NOT!
We often said DSL has different hardware and thats why Merlin will never run smoothly on it.
How could it be the same as long it not even got a WAN port where you would connect your AP to the master router?
There are internal differences beside additional chips for DSL.

And they both dont patch AP or repeater mode to Asus stock firmware!
It is there for RT and missing for DSL type routers, so on both it is not changed at all.

You could ask ASUS to add it to DSL type, it is only up to them - have much luck :p

Search on your own how to change channels with SSH commands, I gave you the way that it is possible with easy commands, maybe I wrote them in this forum some time ago.
And in router mode (DSL-router mode) you wont need it, change it in GUI!

Wait a minute...
Are you telling me, that I was using a fw that was meant completely for the RT-AC68u and not at all for the Dsl-Ac68u, and it flashed no problem and this is why I'm having issues?
Man, I tought that if the flash is complete a.d done means it was meant for it, I've never seen a firmware that could be flashed in two different routers with different hardwares, that's why I'm confused...
Oh man.. if only gnuton2 had the possibility to select a repeater or ap mode, it would have been perfect, but for now I don't think I can ever expect the system to be stable while running a fw that was never meant to be flashed into..
By the same thinking, I guess I could flash the official asus RT-AC68u into the DSL-AC68U, and maybe getting it to run with less issues or no issues at all..

Wait a minute...
Are you telling me, that I was using a fw that was meant completely for the RT-AC68u and not at all for the Dsl-Ac68u, and it flashed no problem and this is why I'm having issues?
Man, I tought that if the flash is complete a.d done means it was meant for it, I've never seen a firmware that could be flashed in two different routers with different hardwares, that's why I'm confused...
Oh man.. if only gnuton2 had the possibility to select a repeater or ap mode, it would have been perfect, but for now I don't think I can ever expect the system to be stable while running a fw that was never meant to be flashed into..
By the same thinking, I guess I could flash the official asus RT-AC68u into the DSL-AC68U, and maybe getting it to run with less issues or no issues at all..

I don't understand why you're having so much trouble getting this.

The only firmware that is made for your router is the DSL version, doesn't matter which fork you use. All the parts (hardware, software, kernel level, etc.) are all specific to your model.

Just because you can flash a wrong firmware from a different model doesn't mean that you should or that it will work correctly, as you've found out. There are a few posts here where people have flashed the RT-AC68U firmware to the RT-AC86U hardware, or vice versa, but that doesn't mean any of that was a success.

As for the GNUton firmware, I am pretty sure that he has a version that supports the features you're interested in. It may still be in development, but maybe you can help him test and get a working version for you and others too. Again, if this isn't released already. :)

I don't understand why you're having so much trouble getting this.

The only firmware that is made for your router is the DSL version, doesn't matter which fork you use. All the parts (hardware, software, kernel level, etc.) are all specific to your model.

Just because you can flash a wrong firmware from a different model doesn't mean that you should or that it will work correctly, as you've found out. There are a few posts here where people have flashed the RT-AC68U firmware to the RT-AC86U hardware, or vice versa, but that doesn't mean any of that was a success.

As for the GNUton firmware, I am pretty sure that he has a version that supports the features you're interested in. It may still be in development, but maybe you can help him test and get a working version for you and others too. Again, if this isn't released already. :)
Why was it hard for me to understand that, cause i believe in md5 checksums, and flashing correct fw into their designed hardwares.
I've had problems in the past flashing wrong fw to routers, ot other devices, most of em resulted in hard bricks and I could never get them to work again.
So when the flashing procedure was done and my router rebooted successfully and I could use it no problem, I thought it was a success, otherwise in my head it would have resulted in a brick!
I hope that clears it out.
I've just googled that I can run official RT-AC68u into my dsl-ac68u with full aimesh support and this is what I intend to do next and will let you know.
And as for testing a new gnuton2 fw and giving my continuous feedback, I would be more than happy to do it and provide my help to the community!

and what I read in the past: no again!
yes you can use it with Aimesh, even with Asus stock firmware since a half year ago, no need for RT-firmware, but only as DSL-modemrouter and Aimesh-MASTER with other Asus routers as Aimesh nodes.
But not this one as Aimesh node ...

try what you want to, your loss will be minimal even with a nice brick.

MD5 only gives you a code to check the correct download of your downloaded file with all bits in place, doesnt say anything about which file you downloaded - its your choice to choose a matching one!
Some devices only allows firmware made for this specific model or even region, others would allow all firmwares using this chip-platform (doesnt mean it will work), and some allow everything.

And for the future: There may exist different firmwares for newer hw-revisions!!!
You wont see any differences in model name, but hardware changes during the years of production may require other firmware than older units!
You'ld be better to really read a lot before flashing firmware, sometimes even from manufacturer, but all the time with firmware-mods and especially with wrong and only compatible firmware!

A year ago Asus themselves bricked their DSL-AC68U with a firmware update!
They pulled this firmware after some days and later they released a special recovery firmware which you had to load twice or 3 times in rescue mode to get your brick back to life (worked for most but not all).

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I didn't post anything, mainly cause I was like I'm done trying and stuff.
Anyway, I've changed some things now, I flashed the latest official RT-AC68U(Remember My router is a DSL-AC68U :))
And I have changed working mode to AP mode instead of repeater mode using a pair of PLC.
So now, the network is mkre stable for sure, no random disconnections and interruptions, I don't have to disable DHCP on my client's devices, 5G is still detected by iphones ipads and nintendo switch but no luck with android devices, although now I can access all the wireless settings for 5G band including channel and stuff, and on the router the 5G led is off(probably a bug due to flashing rt firmware into dsl router maybe??)
All good, of course one major problem!
The bandwitch on the asus is no more than 12mbps, also I can see that there is an orange light on both my plc's.
https://ibb.co/w4tYS0D
On belgacom official website it's saying :
  • Green: there is an Ethernet connection between the 2 CPLs (10 or 100 Mbps).
  • Orange: the connection between the 2 adapters allows SD flow.
  • Red: the connection between the 2 adapters allows Internet flow, but not TV flow.
w4tYS0D

How is that possible? I mean I'm using wired connection now.. Is there anything I missed, ooh, I've used the rj-45 cables included in the plc box.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I didn't post anything, mainly cause I was like I'm done trying and stuff.
Anyway, I've changed some things now, I flashed the latest official RT-AC68U(Remember My router is a DSL-AC68U :))
And I have changed working mode to AP mode instead of repeater mode using a pair of PLC.
So now, the network is mkre stable for sure, no random disconnections and interruptions, I don't have to disable DHCP on my client's devices, 5G is still detected by iphones ipads and nintendo switch but no luck with android devices, although now I can access all the wireless settings for 5G band including channel and stuff, and on the router the 5G led is off(probably a bug due to flashing rt firmware into dsl router maybe??)
All good, of course one major problem!
The bandwitch on the asus is no more than 12mbps, also I can see that there is an orange light on both my plc's.
https://ibb.co/w4tYS0D
w4tYS0D

How is that possible? I mean I'm using wired connection now.. Is there anything I missed, ooh, I've used the rj-45 cables included in the plc box.
Thanks in advance
You should change to GNUton's firmware for your DSL-AC68U!!!
He makes his DSL firmware based on Merlin with all the features and enhancements and recently even working on full Aimesh-support for your modemrouter.
Nobody can help with your wrong RT firmware on DSL router.

You should change to GNUton's firmware for your DSL-AC68U!!!
He makes his DSL firmware based on Merlin with all the features and enhancements and recently even working on full Aimesh-support for your modemrouter.
Nobody can help with your wrong RT firmware on DSL router.

I don't know how to say it again, I'm not interested in DSL features but only RT features, I've already tried flashing GNUton's cfw it does not have access point mode or repeater mode!
I'm just asking this time why is my plc blinking orange amd not green, so why do I only get sd flows instead of full 100mbps speed!
I'm satisfied with the firmware currently running!