What's new

DSL ASUS router suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mogsy

Hello,

New to this forum! A lot of interesting guides and tutorials, thank you!
Recently bought someone AT-AX86U and been helping him setup etc. I am currently using Draytek 2765ac and looking to replace it with Asus because of Merlin’s firmware customisation. I can only see 3 DSL/vDSL routers on their website?

Merlin doesn't make firmware for DSL routers. So you'd either have to have a separate modem or use a router supported by GNUton's fork.

Thank you! Had a quick research. Would be easier if I can use/buy BT Open Reach Huawei modem. Vigor 130 look a bit pricey. Not sure what other modem out there that will be easily configured. Might go for the DSL-AC68U + the fork.

No need to bind the router and modem in one device. You may get different Internet provider in the future, cable or fiber. Get the router you like and the modem you need to use with your current ISP. AC68U is an older model router first released in 2013. Even newer versions of it are using the same old AC Wave 1 radios. Look at more modern options for better performance - AX68U, AX86S, AX86U for example, all the same space saving vertical design. Your current AC devices will benefit from AC Wave 2 radios and your future AX devices will be supported. Newer routers may also offer better coverage due to improved radios and antenna designs.

No need to bind the router and modem in one device. You may get different Internet provider in the future, cable or fiber. Get the router you like and the modem you need to use with your current ISP. AC68U is an older model router first released in 2013. Even newer versions of it are using the same old AC Wave 1 radios. Look at more modern options for better performance - AX68U, AX86S, AX86U for example, all the same space saving vertical design. Your current AC devices will benefit from AC Wave 2 radios and your future AX devices will be supported. Newer routers may also offer better coverage due to improved radios and antenna designs.
There's quite a few cheap 2nd hand Bt Open Reach route BT Open Reach Amazon LINK. I really liked the AX86U when setting it up for my friend. I installed NextDNS CLI on it and see how it goes for him. Draytek is good. But when I encounter problems with it, I am not pro enough to figure out what was happening. With Asus/Merlin GUI, it seems a lot easier.

With Asus/Merlin GUI, it seems a lot easier.

Go for DSL-AX82U at least. It has an Ethernet WAN port and newer hardware. DSL-AC68U has a phone jack for WAN only and much older hardware.

BTW, the xDSL part configuration of combo modem/routers is going to be similar to stand alone modem. Asuswrt-Merlin has nothing to do with it.

Go for DSL-AX82U at least. It has an Ethernet WAN port and newer hardware. DSL-AC68U has a phone jack for WAN only and much older hardware.

BTW, the xDSL part configuration of combo modem/routers is going to be similar to stand alone modem. Asuswrt-Merlin has nothing to do with it.
Think I’ll take your advice and go for the newer AX model. AX86S currently on sale here. I dont think I can use my ISP router as modem as it will be double NATting. I’ll do some research for VDSL modem. Thank you!

There's quite a few cheap 2nd hand Bt Open Reach route BT Open Reach Amazon LINK. I really liked the AX86U when setting it up for my friend. I installed NextDNS CLI on it and see how it goes for him. Draytek is good. But when I encounter problems with it, I am not pro enough to figure out what was happening. With Asus/Merlin GUI, it seems a lot easier.
In the UK, with a UK spec modem, there is pretty much nothing to a basic modem set up. In most cases, all you need are your service username and password (entered in the router, not the modem), the default modem settings (usually just VLAN ID=101) are there by default - no need to even access the modem WebGUI if you don't need/want the connection stats!

In the UK, with a UK spec modem, there is pretty much nothing to a basic modem set up. In most cases, all you need are your service username and password (entered in the router, not the modem), the default modem settings (usually just VLAN ID=101) are there by default - no need to even access the modem WebGUI if you don't need/want the connection stats!
Yes Vigor 130 is plug and play with my ISP. I got the 2nd hand BT Open reach for £19 and AX86S for £139.

This is not an issue. I would get the AX86S, if the price is right. It's a better router.
Done! £139 discounted from £209. Thanks for your advice!