What's new

Dual WAN - Dual DDNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using primary WAN - PPPoE and USB Huawei E3372 for failover
since I am not at the remote location, I can do only remote test
I have tried the following:
ping myhostname.dyndns.org (while router is connected to WAN - PPPoE)
SSH into router and run ifconfig eth0 down
wait for 1 minute and repeat ping myhostname.dyndns.org - IP was still the same, wan was down but IP was NOT updated - I could see on my mobile provider 3G failover was active (bytes up/down)

since I have Synology NAS behind ASUS router, and Synology use own DDNS I have tried to ping myhostname.synology.me before and after ifconfig eth0 down
I can see IP address has changed, I have tried to connect to the server (Remote Desktop Connection) behind the router, but it seems NAT is not working correctly on USB failover

does anybody use fail-over setup, we could create script when fail-over is detected to force DDNS update, and to open required ports on NAT... or at least detect bugs that ASUS should fix...

Last edited:
I have tried the following:
ping myhostname.dyndns.org
or at least detect bugs that ASUS should fix...

Your test determined that dyndns.org can not read your router's mind. OK, not usefull, rest of us knew that.

Without any proper testing, you claim this is an Asus bug. Also not usefull.

@Pila - well it isn't rocket science, if primary WAN (PPPoE) goes down, then upon 3G failover (USB as secondary WAN) DDNS SHOULD be updated, and it isn't updated, so yes, it is bug in the process design.

when ifconfig eth0 down is executed, and after connection is transfered to USB 3G (failover) I have executed "ip route get 8.8.8.8"

Code:
8.8.8.8 via 10.64.64.65 dev ppp1  src 178.160.33.xxx
    cache  mtu 1500 advmss 1460 metric 10 64

when WAN is restored and "ip route get 8.8.8.8" executed

Code:
8.8.8.8 via 213.191.132.187 dev ppp0  src 141.138.49.xxx
  cache  mtu 1492 advmss 1452 metric 10 64

Last edited:
well it isn't rocket science, if primary WAN (PPPoE) goes down, then upon 3G failover (USB as secondary WAN) DDNS SHOULD be updated, and it isn't updated, so yes, it is bug in the process design.

Now you are talking something else:) and showing real data :) And one I can use :)

OK, now we know routing has been correctly changed.

What is shown at the the WEB GUI? After primary WAN fails, what is shown here: Connected or Not connected, which WAN IP and which flag (red or no flag) after your hostname.

if you have Android smartphone, you can test fail-over for yourself
WebGUI looks different on DualWAN setup, so there is no WAN IP flag

Primary WAN connected (Asus router -> VDSL modem)

asus_rtn66u.jpg

Primary WAN down, failover activated: Secondary WAN connected (Asus router -> Huawei USB dongle)

asus_rtn66u_dual_wan.jpg

I found this: How to configure Dual WAN on AsusWRT routers
https://leonid.shevtsov.me/en/how-to-configure-dual-wan-on-asuswrt-routers

I have adjusted "test command" to bring down primary WAN for testing purpose
Code:
ifconfig eth0 down; sleep 600s; ifconfig eth0 up

I have decreased Failover detection time to 15 seconds
I have increased Failback detection time to max 495 seconds, maybe router needs more time to do everything
asus_rtn66u_dual_wan_failover_failback.jpg

now everything seems to work, DDNS updated correctly, port forwarding is working, failover - both inbound and outbound connections

speedtest on primary wan - VDSL - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5406375746
speedtest on secondary wan - 3G - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5406385360

test against your setup and see if this helps to isolate the problem

Last edited:
if you have Android smartphone, you can test fail-over for yourself
WebGUI looks different on DualWAN setup, so there is no WAN IP flag

O, I have got modems, I gave got data lines. I do not have will power to test it because it tooks me one hour to switch to USB modem and back due to bugs in fw. So, I am a bit afraid of such actions :)

But actually, one bug points to possibility of being simpler to install Dual WAN instead of just single USB modem as a primary WAN.

As the interface is different from what i know on single WAN setups, without looking at the source code I am not certain if the same bug I found regarding DDNS updating applies to Dual WAN. I was hoping you wold point in that same direction, since I have that one covered.

I will have to study the problem more.

Any further update on this? Is is possible in failover or load balancing mode to force DDNS updates on particular WAN only?