What's new

WANFailover Dual WAN Failover Script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’ve noticed a pattern that a lot of issues seem to occur with this model across the board it would seem (not with just my stuff).
The only way I've been able to get around this is by installing the "timeout" utility (opkg install coreutils-timeout)... and inserting "timeout 5" in front of each of my "nvram get" calls. It's a PITA... but don't have any other workaround.

The only way I've been able to get around this is by installing the "timeout" utility (opkg install coreutils-timeout)... and inserting "timeout 5" in front of each of my "nvram get" calls. It's a PITA... but don't have any other workaround.
Maybe I can make a workaround into the script to put a timeout for nvram calls and see if it helps? There are quite a few in the script maybe I can start a beta build or make a proprietary build for this model?

Maybe I can make a workaround into the script to put a timeout for nvram calls and see if it helps? There are quite a few in the script maybe I can start a beta build or make a proprietary build for this model?
Yeah... the way I did it is check to see if timeout is installed... if it is, use it and insert the timeout before the nvram call... if it's not... ignore and call nvram as you normally would.

I found more info:

I'd like to think swapping the unit is not the optimal solution here but damn it does seem like this model has a ton of issues around the forums.

I gave in, I have a shiny new AX86U headed my way! :)

I’m still going to see what I can do to overcome the issues the AC86U has. If someone wants to donate one of these models to test with I can try and work out issues for it.

Last edited:
I was worrying for you lately. You used to make network changes every week when you were young...

Yes, I am guilty. It’s one of my hobbies and keeps me out of trouble…. most of the time. Except when my wife can’t get her FB fix. It’s one one of the luxuries of being a 70 yoa retiree! :)

@Smokey613
You won't regret it - the best "happy accident" ever was when my AC86U got hit by lightning/power surge in March 2021 and I had an excuse to purchase the AX86U.
It's rock solid and an "instant classic" in the tradition of the venerable AC68U I had for years and years and is still going strong as a hand-me-down for a friend.
On the other hand the AC86U never felt right, had its quirks as discussed above, and did the odd really weird thing for no apparent reason despite several full factory resets and reconfiguring from scratch. Go figure?!

Last edited:
It was the very first Asus HND router. Perhaps some of the issues come from Broadcom.
That theory makes a lot of sense.

The theory is also supported by the fact this router usually gets firmware updates later than other models.

I am hoping I can still use my existing node AC86U as a AiMesh node. I am plan to remove the node AC86U from my current mesh, take the main AC86U offline, but leaving it configured as is. Then setup the AX86U and add the node AC86U back in as an ethernet AiMesh node. I only have three wifi 6 devices, mine and my wife’s iPhones and a Firestick 4K MAX.

As mentioned esrlier, these two AC86U have been trouble free and I have no plans to get rid of them anytime soon.

@OzarkEdge has this setup. And a spare AC86U too.

Half spare AC86U here... it was again determined to have a yo-yo 2.4 radio signal. So, two died after serving ~2 years, one replaced under warranty ($25 shipping). Both are spare parts, destined for recycling at BestBuy.

OE

Half spare AC86U here... it was again determined to have a yo-yo 2.4 radio signal. So, two died after serving ~2 years, one replaced under warranty ($25 shipping). Both are spare parts, destined for recycling at BestBuy.

OE
Can someone tell me the exact output of the below command on the RT-AC86U? I assume it's that but rather not assume, lol.
Code:
nvram get model

Ok RT-AC86U guys, test this beta and see if it helps with the NVRAM issues? I'm starting with a simple delay in WAN Status to see if it will remedy the problem with this model.

Release Notes:
- Testing delay in WAN Status for when NVRAM is inaccessible.

Note: If this doesn't work I'm going to redirect it to the kill script command since there is possibilities it is causing the script to hang on nvram calls and also I'm trying to avoid the requirement of installing timeout for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!