What's new

Dual WAN Failover Script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I received the new AX86U in today and got it all configured and online. Updated to 386.5_2, installed the standard script and everything appears to be working great. :)

Seems like he got the AX, not the AC. :)

Seems like he got the AX, not the AC. :)
Right, he’s replacing his AC model…I was just sharing the thread so he can see he wasn’t alone lol.

FYI I’ve been testing script on latest beta and have not had any issues…any other reports?

The script is running fine since three days on my AC86U. @Ranger802004 I think you figured it out.
BUT, the script does not survive a manual reboot. It won't start after a manual reboot.

I can’t believe I waited this long to try the AX86U again.

Thank you @Ranger802004 for giving me the incentive!

I did try one when they first came out but was not happy with the operation. I returned it to Amazon and began my long trial of various other solutions.

I had been using a Firewalla Blue+ and later a Firewalla Gold for the firewall / routing functions with the 2 AC86U in AP/AiMesh mode. This setup worked very good, but I decided I did not want to rely on a device that was primarily managed by a phone app and relied on contact to the “Mothership” to function properly.

This is my reason for abandoning the eero solutions I tried ( eero 6 and eero pro (2nd gen).

I tried sets of CT8, XT8 and XD4 which worked okay but they did not have Merlin support, which I really like.

Back in the fall, I recommended the AX86U to my best friend as he had recently gotten symmetrical gigabit internet. He has been very happy with the AX86U.

I bought his pair of AC86U, one of which I had sold to him. As I only have 100/100 speeds, these were more than adequate for my needs.

I now have dual ISP and went back using the FWG as Dual WAN which worked great. But…. I was back to relying on a “mothership” to keep everything working.

I started playing with this script and realized the AC86U was not going to reliably run this script, but others were having success with the AX86U.

I had been wanting to try one again so I decided to give the AX86U another shot.

So far, I am very happy…. yes I know, I have said that before.

Sorry for this long post ….. but felt the need to clarify all my equipment “hopping” journey I have been on. :)

Last edited:
The script is running fine since three days on my AC86U. @Ranger802004 I think you figured it out.
BUT, the script does not survive a manual reboot. It won't start after a manual reboot.
Is your cron job created on boot up and does an entry for it to be created exist under wan-event?

Good retirement income. Happy for you, smart person. :)

Yes and the excellent return policy of Amazon allowing me to try all those routers. :)

This is off topic but, today I have been running my new AX86U as the only wifi router. I put my AC86U node unit on a smart plug so I could take it offline without having to go my office, which is outside in a converted storeroom on my side patio. The AX86U has been handling everything with no drops, even the 11 smart plugs, the majority of which are in my office. I am more impressed with this unit the longer it runs.

This is off topic but, today I have been running my new AX86U as the only wifi router. I put my AC86U node unit on a smart plug so I could take it offline without having to go my office, which is outside in a converted storeroom on my side patio. The AX86U has been handling everything with no drops, even the 11 smart plugs, the majority of which are in my office. I am more impressed with this unit the longer it runs.
Which smart plugs do you use? I have about ~70 IoT devices on my home network segregated on a guest network. I have an AX-11000 with 3 AIMesh Nodes throughout the house.

I have 9 Amazon plugs and 2 TP-Link HS105 plugs. In the past, using only one unit ( in my living room ) did not reliably maintain connection with a few of them in my outside office. Now, that is no longer an issue, at least so far. BTW, these plugs have been in the same location throughout my various router testing.

I have 9 Amazon plugs and 2 TP-Link HS105 plugs. In the past, using only one unit ( in my living room ) did not reliably maintain connection with a few of them in my outside office. Now, that is no longer an issue, at least so far. BTW, these plugs have been in the same location throughout my various router testing.
I love the Kasa stuff

BTW, your script continues to work great. I have tested it several times throughout the day without a hiccup.

BTW, your script continues to work great. I have tested it several times throughout the day without a hiccup.
Glad it is working great for you and thank you for the donation!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!