What's new

Dual WAN - Failover with Teltonika LTE device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

Looking for experiences / tip & tricks / etc using Teltonika as LTE WAN Failover in Dual WAN on ASUS.

Today, my RUT950 determines fail-over state and switched to LTE if the cable modem goes down (see below). Also what's nice is it also has a nice firewall in it, so I essentially run 2 firewalls (RUT950 then ASUS) but not for long....

I need to change it so the AC68U runs Dual WAN w/ Failover to the RUT950 since the RUT950's Ethernet ports are only 100gbit, and I'll be upgrading my Internet connection soon. Dont want the RUT950 to slow things down.

Current:
Internet -> Cable Modem -> RUT950 -> ASUS RT-AC86U

Changing to:
Internet -> Cable Modem -> ASUS RT-AC86U -> RUT950

Thx for the help / advice!

I don't know anything about the RUT950. Can you neuter its routerness and make it act more like a bridge? If so then you can just connect the cable modem to the Asus WAN port, and one of the RUT950 LAN ports to one of the Asus LAN ports (that you set to be the Secondary WAN for dual-WAN).

Even if you can't get the RUT950 to stop being a router but you can get it to stop NATting (assuming it does that in the first place) that'd work.

As an aside, I will tell you that my experience with Asus' dual-WAN is... not stellar. Failover works, sort of, but the Asus tends to keep the Secondary WAN in a cold standby state which does not reveal second-WAN problems until the first WAN actually fails. Ideally there'd be a hot standby that would keep sending pings down the second WAN to keep it alive and well. In load-balance mode (which I guess you'd be less interested in since you no doubt pay dearly for LTE) the Asus can be anywhere from working miraculously to flaming garbage, usually closer to the latter. And load-balance mode only supports single-digit integer balance ratios, meaning you can't really turn it into a quasi-failover mode (i.e. with hot standby) with something like 999:1 balance.

@isomorphic, that doesn't help. The RUT950 even in Bridge Mode will still only have 100Mbps ports.

Guys - thx for the info/feedback.

Any recommendations on replacing the RUT950 with a gateways/failover device with a gig port, for a reasonable price?

@Livin you may want to state what country and ISP you have to get more answers here. :)

The Cisco RV340 router will work with a cell fail over device as a second WAN. Cisco states the units that they have tested with. Others may work. You will need a wireless AP like a Cisco WAP581 if you want wireless. The Cisco RV340 is a wired only router. Google the Cisco RV340 router there will be info out there.

Be careful when trying to use dual wan with LTE. I had my AC68 setup for dual wan with on cable and both using a USB modem plugged directly into the router via usb and via a CradlePoint to ethernet. I found that it was extremely unreliable in detecting when to fail-over. Example, if I physically pulled the cable modem ethernet cable from the router it would fail-over properly BUT if I just unplugged the power to the modem (simulating an outage) it would NOT fail-over and the the LTE connection would go unused defeating the entire purpose of dual wan fail-over. Eventually, I just gave up and removed the LTE modem as it seemed there was no solution or resolution from ASUS.

Be careful when trying to use dual wan with LTE. I had my AC68 setup for dual wan with on cable and both using a USB modem plugged directly into the router via usb and via a CradlePoint to ethernet. I found that it was extremely unreliable in detecting when to fail-over. Example, if I physically pulled the cable modem ethernet cable from the router it would fail-over properly BUT if I just unplugged the power to the modem (simulating an outage) it would NOT fail-over and the the LTE connection would go unused defeating the entire purpose of dual wan fail-over. Eventually, I just gave up and removed the LTE modem as it seemed there was no solution or resolution from ASUS.

Thank you. I'll prob get an updated, 1Gbit version of the Teltonika as they seem to be reliable, and updated frequently.... they have a ton of features too.