What's new

Dual WAN support with different IP's & Gateways??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ajai

Occasional Visitor
I have just upgraded from Netgear R7000 to an R8000 about which you can read here. Now when I was boasting about my new purchase to my friend he pointed out that his 87u supports something called dual WAN with load balancing which my R8000 does not.

This dual WAN is interesting to me since I have two internet connections at home one is with the IP 10.10.6.xx with gateway 10.10.6.xxx the other one with the IP 10.209.6.xxx with gateway 10.209.6.xxx. Keeping that in mind can the dual WAN setup work with these two different IP's & gateway in load balancing or not?

As long they are truly two physically separate Internet connection (i.e. you have two separate modems).

isnt it possible to do load balancing with 2 PPPOE connections over the same physical WAN port on asus routers?

No. You need two separate modems, plugged to two separate interfaces.

But with two LAN based Internet lines load balancing is possible even if both have different IP's and Gateways or not?

But with two LAN based Internet lines load balancing is possible even if both have different IP's and Gateways or not?

Yes. This is real dual WAN support, not just link aggregation. It expects the IPs and gateways to be different, otherwise it wouldn't be really useful.

Yes. This is real dual WAN support, not just link aggregation. It expects the IPs and gateways to be different, otherwise it wouldn't be really useful.

That clear up quite a bit I was expecting it to be similar to link aggregation. After a look at my R8000 manual it seems my router does not have dual WAN support which is a bummer I wonder why Netgear did not included the functionality.

Seems I will have to look into the RT AC3200 after all.

That clear up quite a bit I was expecting it to be similar to link aggregation. After a look at my R8000 manual it seems my router does not have dual WAN support which is a bummer I wonder why Netgear did not included the functionality.

Seems I will have to look into the RT AC3200 after all.

Very few home routers do. Personally, I only know of Asus having this. Otherwise, you have to look at products such as the Cisco RV042 (which is what I was using in the past for customers with dual wan requirements).

Very few home routers do. Personally, I only know of Asus having this. Otherwise, you have to look at products such as the Cisco RV042 (which is what I was using in the past for customers with dual wan requirements).

I would think they would include it in the high end home routers like my R8000. Other than this more LAN ports should also be present "Like my super buggy DIR632 had". Using combo "Switches and routers" just adds more power hungry parts to the network.

I would think they would include it in the high end home routers like my R8000. Other than this more LAN ports should also be present "Like my super buggy DIR632 had". Using combo "Switches and routers" just adds more power hungry parts to the network.

With people increasingly shifting to wireless, I doubt we'll see much in terms of 8-ports routers in the future - not enough demand for it.

With people increasingly shifting to wireless, I doubt we'll see much in terms of 8-ports routers in the future - not enough demand for it.

Well wireless tech is a mess right now this is something that most people dont know they just go in for bigger numbers on box routers. I am struggling with R8000 and its loss rate of almost 1% while pinging to my M9 where as my old Netgear Wifi B router had only 0.3-0.5% loss rate.

God knows when wireless tech will be as dependable as wired tech.

There are many mikrotik routerboards and ubiquiti edgerouters 8 or more ports and mikrotik doesmulti WAN in almost any way you like and can have wireless through USB or miniPCIe. They are also a much better and cheaper choice than the cisco rv because i find even asus-wrt surpasses the firmware in cisco RV and the hardware performance as well.

More things are moving to wireless because there are just more wireless devices but despite that many of those devices could be centralised to work with wifi APs instead of just 2 way radios.

wire will always be faster than wifi.
People dont really view routers as network cores hence the 5 ports only. It is less power hungry when the device already has the components. the ARM based routers with broadcom SoC can actually support 8 wired lan ports that feature is already within the chip but using its multiple XGMII interfaces. If you want a router with more LAN ports consider getting something designated as a network core which is a router with more ports meant for more control for any network it is in.

Hi All,

I'm wondering if I could get some help here with DUAL WAN in Load Balancing mode.

I've searched the entire forum but the only problems with dual wan in LB mode people face is dropping packets. I don't have that, what I face is:

Router - RT-AC3200 running latest merlin firmware.
Load balancing enabled.
My ISP gives me a 100/100 mbps link over ethernet cable. I can't upgrade to a higher speed and use single wan mode because their switch ports are only 100 mbps (fast ethernet). I purchased a second line from the same ISP so they simply ran another ethernet cable from a free switch port to my apartment and connected to my router LAN port 4. So my Primary WAN is WAN port, Secondary WAN - LAN port 4. ISP assigns the ip address using DHCP and lease time is 4 minutes on both WANs. Now what's happening is that when lease time remaining is less than 2 min I can see in the logs that the Primary WAN renews the lease and simply lease time remaining changes to 4 min again. So that works as it should. Whenever the Secondary WAN tries to renew the lease it does it differently: I can see it trying to renew and then the following happens in the logs: (watch the timing)

1621930510150.png

So this happens every 4 minutes, and it restarts everything: firewall, nat, vpn server/client and what not.
So to troubleshoot that I used my old RT-AC87u also running merlin latest firmware, but there are no mods installed on it no entware no custom user scripts nothing - just fresh merlin firmware and that's it. I jsut enabled dual wan on it and connected the cables, and guess what it does exactly the same thing as RT-AC3200. Now that's easy to blame it on ISP but, when router runs in single wan mode on either of the ISP lines it doesn't do that, it works normally renewing the lease every so often without this restarting process. From the ISP side they are saying that they see frequent link up/downs on the secondary WAN as if someone physically disconnects and connects the cable again. But strangely enough it only happens when DHCP lease is renewed on the router.
So I'm seeking some help here. If anything else required I'm happy to get and post here. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2021-05-25 12.28.jpg
    2021-05-25 12.28.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!