What's new

E1500 ap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fritodog

New Around Here
Took advice found on this forum & purchased E1500 N300 refurb to use as AP. Followed setup instructions in Tim's articles and it is working, but not sure about some of the settings & would appreciate it if someone w/ more experience would guide me:

1) Internet Connection Type: set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Other choices: Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra Cable, Bridge Mode

2a) Wi-Fi Protected Setup: set to Manual
Other choices: Wi-Fi Protected Setup with WPS either Enabled or Disabled
2b) 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
Network Mode: set to Mixed
Channel Width: set to Auto (20 MHz or 40 MHz)
Channel: set to Auto

3) UPnP: set to Disabled (this was recommended in an article on another site)

Set Up Comments

Took advice found on this forum & purchased E1500 N300 refurb to use as AP. Followed setup instructions in Tim's articles and it is working, but not sure about some of the settings & would appreciate it if someone w/ more experience would guide me:

1) Internet Connection Type: set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Other choices: Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra Cable, Bridge Mode

2a) Wi-Fi Protected Setup: set to Manual
Other choices: Wi-Fi Protected Setup with WPS either Enabled or Disabled
2b) 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
Network Mode: set to Mixed
Channel Width: set to Auto (20 MHz or 40 MHz)
Channel: set to Auto

3) UPnP: set to Disabled (this was recommended in an article on another site)

MY comments:

When re-purposing a router to act as an AP only I like to assign it a static IP so it is easier to locate on my network and connect to if I want to adjust setting. With automatic it could have anyone of up to 254 private IP addresses depending on how large your DHCP range is.

As for network type if you don't have any G only devices set the router to N only or G and N.

If when you do a scan you don't see any other SSIDs then you can leave your channel width to automatic, but for most people in most locations just set it to 20 Mhz and be done with it.

Two reason for not setting your channel to automatic. If your primary router is also a WiFi AP then you want to set your secondary AP on a non overlapping channel. In my case I have my primary router/AP on 11 and my secondary AP on 1. Secondly some devices get confused if the AP's channel changes so it is better to pick the best channel you can find and leave it at that. You do need to check regularly to confirm that your selection is still the best.

You can leave UPnP disabled, but some devices require certain ports be forwarded and normally if UPnP is enabled you do not have to worry about forwarding the ports they require. With UPnP off you may need to manually set up the port forwarding. Port forwarding also requires that you assign static IPs to these devices so you can create the rules. Its your call to decide if you are willing to perform the necessary steps or perhaps give up some security and let your router do the work.

VPN Passthrough

Thanks for the advice and feedback. Everything is working fine except when I engage my VPN. It connects to my VPN service, but will not load webpages from the AP. If I connect to the main router, it connects and loads webpages without a problem. The router I am using as an AP has settings for VPN Passthrough and I have all the radio buttons set to Enabled. Anyone have an idea on what might be causing this?

Last edited:
Bridge mode is the best choice. Try resetting the E1500 to factory defaults, and then put it in bridge mode. The instructions say to use a different SSID in the "Quick Tips" (not sure if you have to). I use a different non-over lapping wireless channel from primary AP (again, not sure if you have to).

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...tting_up_the_Linksys_E4200_in_bridge_mode.xml

For other cascade methods--try here:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...45b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=94&converted=0#lanwan

VPN Problem When Routing Thru AP

Changed to bridge mode, but still can't get webpages to load when using VPN and routing through AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online