What's new

Multiple Access Points or one ASUS RT-AX88U to try and cover whole house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alumiu90

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for advice on whether to purchase a single wi-fi router or multiple wi-fi routers to run in AP mode.

Current set up is a 4100 sf. 3 level home that has CAT6 or CAT5 ethernet cable running to every room. Incoming service speed is 500 Mbps and maximum service available is 1000 Mbps. I have an old ASUS RT-AC66U set up as the router between my Charter Spectrum cable modem and an unmanaged 16 port switch. The RT-AC66U has the wifi broadcasting turned off as I am just using it as a router. It is in a basement storage area so it would not be able to transmit much of a signal anyway. For wi-fi service I have an ASUS RT-AC68U on the mainlevel that services all three levels. The problem is that the RT-AC68U is 10 years old and is getting ready to call it quits. I have to choose between replacing it with a single wi-fi router running in AP mode (looking at ASUS RT-AX88U) or setting up an Access Point on each level using same SSID, but set to different broadcast channels for both 2.4 Mhz and 5 Mhz to try to avoid excessive interference. I have eliminated the thoughts of a mesh network unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I am looking for Pro's and Con's of each choice and if setting up 3 different access points what ASUS models would you recommend to keep the cost level down yet still maximize the internet speed that I am paying for.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Why are you looking for All-In-One routers when you need Access Points?

Have you searched SNB Forums for information on Access Points or New Home Network? Multiple threads in this very same forum section with manufacturers, models and entire setups suggestions. Take a look.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!