What's new

Edgerouter 12 vs Mikrotik RB4011

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I read that the new Mikrotik RouterOS 7 is going to be 5.x Linux kernel. Is that true? Is all the old hardware going to work?
I use a Mikrotik hAP ac2 as a backup and held off on the new V7 betas because of all the issues. The current V6.47 release went through 60 betas before being declared a "stable" release. And then it only took another 2 weeks before beta 6.48 debuted and it had over 40 changes! It's at beta 12 already. I don't know how many betas ASUS goes through to get to a release, but I'll bet it's alot if the numbering system is linear.

I am now back to my old Mikrotik Hex 750gr3 for pure routing and firewall between WAN and LAN, combined it with my older Cisco 350 switch with L3 static (gbps) vlan routing + acl, dhcp etc, and all fine now for the past month; very stable and performant.

I've been using a HapLite + HP ProCurve at my parents place after a Tomato ASUS RTN16 had Capacitor issues.
Its forced me to start learning about Mikrotik and products and how its so much more powerful than Tomato and DD WRT etc.

Recently ordered a Hap AC2 as well and I read its basically Gig Hex + WiFi

I wish we had more SNB Testing and Benchmarks of Mktk products that can very well outshadow so much of similarly priced Consumer brand junk.