What's new

Eero Pro with 2 nodes advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aeschylus

New Around Here
Hello.

I was hoping someone with more expertise to point me in the right direction.

We just had 1GB internet installed. Up and down is 949MB wired.

Standing next to the router with my mi 11 phone I getting 750mb. This is fine.

I installed the 2 Mesh add-ons (wireless) and they get full signal from the main router. They are upstairs Approx 6 metres as the crow flies from the main router..

The problem is i am not getting more than a 100mb wireless when connected to a mesh upstairs when in the same room as one of the mesh nodes. The boys PS5 which is wired to a mesh is only getting 192mb.

I am guessing it is a mesh issue but they seemed to be placed perfectly according to Eero. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

The problem with "mesh" in general is the wireless backhaul chops the bandwidth by 50% because we're lazy and don't want to run the cabling.

Now, to get the nodes to go faster the have to be closer to the base / router.

Grab a wifi analyzer app for your phone or laptop and see what's going on with the RF around you. If you're in a condo / apt you'll have tons of RF to contend with and this messes up the lazy mesh approach considerably if you let it automatically configure itself.

200mbps on the PS5 sounds decent enough. This is the price you pay for convenience though. WIFI off the main node though is working as expected.

The problem with "mesh" in general is the wireless backhaul chops the bandwidth by 50% because we're lazy and don't want to run the cabling.

Not valid for Eero Pro. It's a tri-band system with dedicated wireless backhaul. One of the better ones on the market.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Ideas perhaps later. Some questions first:
- What model Eero Pro? There is 5, 6, 6E models, different generations.
- Why did you install 2 more and what type they are - what is called "beacons" or identical to your main unit devices?

This product comparison page may give answers to some performance related questions:

Last edited:
Not valid for Eero Pro. It's a tri-band system with dedicated wireless backhaul. One of the better ones on the market.

Ideas perhaps later. Some questions first:
- What model Eero Pro? There is 5, 6, 6E models, different generations.
- Why did you install 2 more and what type they are - what is called "beacons" or identical to your main unit devices?

This product comparison page may give answers to some performance related questions:

Hi.

The main unit was a pro 6. It was supplied by a company called youfibre here in the UK. It has a youfibre landing screen when opening the app

They also sent two mesh add ons which are called

Eero 6 dual band mesh WiFi router. This was decided by the engineer on his visit as he walked around with a phone.

This was decided by the engineer

Eero Pro 6 is a tri-band router with dedicated wireless backhaul channel. Eero 6 is a dial-band router and it shares the wireless backhaul with the clients. This "engineer" (perhaps just technician with basic training) ignored the main Eero Pro advantage and cut your system's performance by half.

Essentially another idiot with a phone doing a site survey and sending the wrong devices to fix a coverage issue. Not surprising but, I would be sending those nodes back and getting ones that match the base system and if your coverage is spotty going with actual AP's and wiring them back tot he main unit.

to fix a coverage issue

...or to sell more equipment for no reason. Local ISP "engineers" plug Plume pods to every power outlet. Each one is extra fee per month. I've seen 2-bedroom apartments with main router and 3x pods, one in each room. The client devices wonder what the FCUK is going on. :)

I will call youfibre tomorrow and explain. Though I suspect I will get nowhere.

Is it worth buying a couple of eero Pro as currently £120 on amazon

What happens if you turn off both extra routers or one of them? Do you have dead Wi-Fi zones? Experiment and find what works best in your place. Don't trust the "engineer", especially if he carries a phone around. You don't need full bars to every corner of the house. Wi-Fi 5/6 can still provide good speeds at -70dBm signal levels.

If you do have Wi-Fi dead zones, can you ask them to replace Eero 6 with Eero Pro 6 units? This change will improve your speeds to node clients significantly. You still can't get Gigabit over Wi-Fi - limited by clients Wi-Fi capabilities. Common 2-stream AX client can get ~800Mbps close to the main unit in ideal conditions.