What's new

eero Tweaks Its Wi-Fi Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Notice that Orbi was not included in the test.

but i think a fair thing that its not compared as even you have suggested that the orbi system is platform to its self and not really a mesh type system , orbi can only really be compared when other manufactures make devices with the same platform , eg dedicated backhaul on high 5 gig

did notice that the tests in that link where also only 2 device comparison and not multi hop

I have seen official market share data (I think it was from NPD). So that's a broader and more comprehensive view than your anecdotal data.

That may be so (above), but I'm usually on the leading edge of tech trends. :)

No testing but rather subjective analysis. If tested, Orbi would hit the home run.
"Rather subjective" is pretty kind. The article provides no real data or test method descriptions to back up its conclusions.

Problems with these Mesh system, there are no ethernet ports to use (some of us would like to run ethernet to devices). I have a Synology NAS plugged into a router. These mesh systems, I would be forced to by a wifi doogle.
Not really. The eero devices each have two ethernet ports. It would be nice to have even more ethernet ports on the eero units, but the simple solution is to use inexpensive switches as needed to supplement the existing two ports.

Having the same concern, I just talked to an Eero rep named Scott who was very helpful. He explained that there is no problem using switches (preferably unmanaged gigabit switches) as needed to connect wired network devices such as a NAS, streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc) and other devices to your eero units.

In my case, I need to place the primary eero in a central location where other devices (including a Synology NAS) require ethernet connections. The Eero rep recommended wiring the primary eero directly to the cable modem, then interpose a switch between the one remaining eero port and your other devices (including other eeros and your NAS). I plan to hard-wire all three eeros, thereby freeing up WiFi bandwidth that would otherwise be used for the backhaul connections.

I came close to returning my eero a few months ago. While on a call to customer service trying to diagnose why I was receiving slow speeds in a room in which the eero I was connected to (I could determine through IP address) should have only been one hop away. It was the closest eero to the primary wired eero. Instead it was connecting through an eero 70' away from the primary unit said the support person on the phone. My question was why. His answer was to reboot the secondary unit. I wasn't very happy and they in fact gave me a return authorization which I never used. That was update 1.5 maybe?

After the update to 2.0 I can say I notice a difference. One TV has always struggled to stream an apple tv movie. Even after adding eero, even though it got better than my previous set-up, it wasn't great. I purchased and immediately streamed without issue and with near instant loading 2 different movies.

I'm looking forward to the app update where I can get more insight into what's going on at my place. I've got a unique situation with a few metal skinned outbuildings 70-100' away from the house on some land and I can say this is the best system I've had so far. I am looking forward to the new tests to see what the actual improvement is.

Edit: The updates to the app are nice. It won't tell you who it's connected to but it will tell you how strong your connection back to the main eero is.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!