What's new

Effect of router app on traffic more than of app on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

I have my home phone on Google Voice/Obi, i.e. going through the router.

I noticed that uTorrent running on PC behind the router, has very little effect on voice connection, while Tranmission running on the router, has it much more. I run the test at http://www.onsip.com/tools/voip-test, and even with Transmission up/down traffic being twice less than uTorrent's, the results of the test were consistently all red with Transmission, and green with uTorrent working. Enabling QoS + highest priority to Obi box did not have any effect.

I wonder, is it that the router somehow gives highest priority to its own applications? Is is possible to "downgrade" Transmission somehow? Practically this means that in order to avoid everyone in the family complaining about the sound breaking up during phone calls, I have to either use Transmission only at night, or keep the PC on just to run uTorrent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!