What's new

Solved Need Assistance: Reverse Proxies and DDNS Not Working After Asus Router Firmware Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tsuna

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking assistance regarding a recent issue I've encountered with my Asus RT-AX86U router after applying a firmware update, and I'm hoping someone in the community can offer some insights.

The Problem: After updating my Asus router firmware to Firmware 3004.388.7, I've encountered difficulties with reverse proxies no longer functioning properly. These reverse proxies were previously working flawlessly, facilitating remote access to various applications and services.

Previous Functionality: Before the firmware update, everything was working smoothly, and there were no changes to port configurations or settings in the setup. The reverse proxies were effectively routing traffic to the intended destinations, and remote access was seamless.

Post-Update Dysfunction: However, after applying the firmware update, the reverse proxies have ceased to forward traffic correctly. Remote access to these services via reverse proxies is now consistently failing.

DDNS Issue: Additionally, after the firmware update, the DDNS functionality also stopped working. This raises concerns about potential broader issues with the router's functionality post-update.

Possible Solutions: I'm considering downgrading back to a previous firmware version to determine conclusively if the firmware update is the root cause of the issue. However, I'm unsure if this is feasible or recommended.

Suspected Changes in Merlin Software: I'm also curious if there have been any changes in the Merlin software that could be affecting the functionality of reverse proxies. If there have been any undocumented changes or known issues related to reverse proxies in the latest firmware update, I'd appreciate any information or insights.

Request for Assistance: If anyone in the Asus router community has experienced similar issues or has insights into potential solutions, workarounds, or explanations for the sudden malfunctioning of reverse proxies after a firmware update, your input would be invaluable. Any suggestions, tips, or guidance would be immensely helpful in resolving this issue and restoring full functionality to my router.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice you can provide!

I am running a reverse proxy on my DS220+ Syno NAS. I port forward on my AX88U-PRO to my NAS IP with custom port number. So I have some experience.

A little more info would be helpful....
1. What device in your LAN is hosting the reverse proxy?
2. Can you access the reverse proxy host device by IP?
3. How did you perform your router update: "dirty" (router upload &write over existing FW); download onto local device then upload to router?
4. Did you perform a router reset. If so, what method?
5. Can you confirm there is a proper port forward to the reverse proxy host by IP and port number?

I am running a reverse proxy on my DS220+ Syno NAS. I port forward on my AX88U-PRO to my NAS IP with custom port number. So I have some experience.

A little more info would be helpful....
3. How did you perform your router update: "dirty" (router upload &write over existing FW); download onto local device then upload to router?
5. Can you confirm there is a proper port forward to the reverse proxy host by IP and port number?
    • The reverse proxy is hosted on my Synology DS920+ NAS.
    • Yes, I can access the reverse proxy host device (Synology DS920+ NAS) by its IP address without any issues. Local access using the IP address works perfectly.
    • I performed the router update by uploading the firmware directly to the router and writing over the existing firmware. It was a standard firmware update process without any additional steps.
    • No, I did not perform a router reset after the firmware update. I simply uploaded the new firmware and allowed the router to reboot.
    • Yes, I have confirmed that there is a proper port forward set up on my Asus RT-AX86U router to forward traffic to the reverse proxy host (Synology DS920+ NAS) by its IP address and the custom port number used by the reverse proxy.
This setup has run stable for over a year now. Additionally, if you have any further questions or suggestions based on this information, feel free to ask!
It's great to have someone with experience in reverse proxy setups offering assistance.

@Tsuna , another question....

How are you testing your reverse proxy - with a cellphone that has been disconnected to your WiFi LAN?

The first suggestion that most senior forum members will say is to perform a "Method 2" router reset. The Method 2 is the most comprehensive reset that will put the router into a default factory settings configuration state with the last FW version. So, all your settings will need to be entered by hand. Do not use a saved router setup file. You will need your router setup notes or screen shots to manually enter your setup information.

Most of time, a "dirty" FW update works just fine. But if the new FW has new features, a reset is often required - not optional.

There are different method 2 reset processes for different routers. There are plenty of posts on this forum with instructions. Asus also has a web page with instructions.

If you don't want to do the reset process just yet, I suggest you try the following 1st.
1. Reboot your router (on/off)
2. Remove the port forward on your router and apply
3. Reboot your router (on/off)
4. Reestablish your port forward and apply.
5. Test.

If this doesn't work, a Method 2 reset is the correct course of action.

BTW, when performing a Method 2 reset, it is recommended that you 1st download the new FW to a local computer, verify the checksum, and upload to your router. This will help avoid FW glitch/corruption that is rare but can occur in the typical router FW upload process.

@Tsuna , another question....

How are you testing your reverse proxy - with a cellphone that has been disconnected to your WiFi LAN?

The first suggestion that most senior forum members will say is to perform a "Method 2" router reset. The Method 2 is the most comprehensive reset that will put the router into a default factory settings configuration state with the last FW version. So, all your settings will need to be entered by hand. Do not use a saved router setup file. You will need your router setup notes or screen shots to manually enter your setup information.

Most of time, a "dirty" FW update works just fine. But if the new FW has new features, a reset is often required - not optional.

There are different method 2 reset processes for different routers. There are plenty of posts on this forum with instructions. Asus also has a web page with instructions.

If you don't want to do the reset process just yet, I suggest you try the following 1st.
1. Reboot your router (on/off)
2. Remove the port forward on your router and apply
3. Reboot your router (on/off)
4. Reestablish your port forward and apply.
5. Test.

If this doesn't work, a Method 2 reset is the correct course of action.
Thank you for the suggestions!

I tested the reverse proxy locally using my computer to access my Vaultwarden container, which is configured to only be accessed via HTTPS.
Unfortunately, I encountered the same timeout error.

Following that, I tested the reverse proxy with my cellphone while disconnected from my WiFi LAN (using cellular data), as well as with my laptop while on the go.
Each time, I received a timeout error.

Based on these results, it appears that the issue persists across different devices and networks.

I have now removed the port forwarding settings completely and rebooted the router. I need to go to work, so I can't test it right away.
I'll reconfigure the port forwarding later and check if the issue is resolved. If not, I'll start taking screenshots and prepare for a Method 2 router reset.

Thanks again for your help!

Hey

I've completed a Method 2 router reset on my Asus RT-AX86U and re-applied all my settings. Here’s a summary of what I did:

• Performed a Method 2 Router Reset: Re-applied all my settings manually using screenshots I took before the reset.
  • Changed DDNS Domain: Had to change my DDNS domain because I forgot to unregister the old one before resetting.
  • Firmware Check: Confirmed the router is on firmware 3004.388.7, which is the latest Merlin firmware.
Despite these efforts, my DDNS and reverse proxies are still not working. The issues persist across different devices and networks. Given that I’ve ensured the router is properly configured and on the latest firmware, I’m starting to think the problem might not be with my Asus router.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any additional suggestions for troubleshooting? Could there be something I'm missing in my Synology NAS or Docker container setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*update*

Issues:
  1. VPN Timeout: The VPN service, which is hosted on the Asus router itself, is not working. I receive a timeout error when attempting to connect. This suggests that the issue is not related to my Synology NAS, as the VPN is managed by the router.
  2. DDNS and Reverse Proxy Timeout: My DDNS and reverse proxies are also experiencing timeout errors.
What I've Done:
  • Performed a Method 2 Router Reset: I reset the router to factory settings and re-applied all my settings manually using screenshots I took before the reset.
  • Changed DDNS Domain: I had to change my DDNS domain because I forgot to unregister the old one before resetting.
  • Firmware Check: The router is confirmed to be on firmware 3004.388.7, which is the latest Merlin firmware.
  • Rebooted ISP Modem: Tried rebooting my ISP modem, which is in bridge mode and should not interfere with the process, but the issue persists.
Given that the VPN, DDNS, and reverse proxy services are all timing out and the VPN issue is clearly router-related, I suspect the problem might be with the router's configuration or firmware.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
the VPN issue is clearly router-related, I suspect the problem might be with the router's configuration or firmware.
I presume you are using the router as your VPN host (not a vpn client), then I would agree the evidence points to a router FW issue.

My setup is a bit different than yours. I use Asuswrt FW and Syno's built in Reverse Proxy. And I don't host VPN on my router or NAS now.

Are you using your ddns name in your VPN setup? If so, you may need to wait for DNS propagation (24-72 hrs).

Nonetheless, I suggest your diagnostic efforts turn to removal of some of your services, one by one until you have success. This approach will go a long way to isolating the problematic device/config.

Since everything worked prior to your router FW upgrade, you may want to consider starting there: a known-good config. However, this will require a FW downgrade and method 2 reset again.

Alternatively, you could leave your FW as is and remove VPN and reverse proxy and test to see if a vanilla config works. Remember to disable NAS Firewall during testing.

BTW, I can't quite figure out why you have both a reverse proxy and VPN. If your router is config as the VPN host and your syno NAS hosting a reverse proxy, I would think there potentially is an inherent conflict. What VPN are you using and does it require a router port forward as does a reverse proxy. While I have used both on my system, never both at the same time.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to update you all on the resolution to my issue with the VPN, DDNS, and reverse proxy services timing out after my recent router reset and firmware update.

The Solution:

In the corner of my eye, I noticed that my router had the IP address 192.168.0.205. I hadn't paid much attention to it before because, apparently, I trusted my ISP's hardware more than the fancy gear I handpicked for my network. Rookie mistake, right?

Turns out, due to a recent blackout, my ISP modem reset itself to router mode instead of bridge mode. This caused all sorts of network conflicts and issues.

Once I set the ISP modem back to bridge mode, everything popped back to life. All my services, including the VPN, DDNS, and reverse proxies, are now working perfectly.

Lesson Learned:

Always double-check the mode your ISP modem is in after a power outage or reset. Trust but verify, even when it comes to hardware you expect to be reliable. And hey, even seasoned network enthusiasts can overlook the basics sometimes!

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions and assistance!