What's new

Effective YouTube Ad Filter Exist for Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

copperhead

Occasional Visitor
On my desktop I use Chrome / Firefox with the highly effective uBlocker to block 100% of YouTube Ads. Absolutely brilliant and silent. Was wondering if there was an equally effective solution that i can add to my router (Asus GT-AC2900) this way my Smart TV's YouTube app wouldnt be so overloaded with Ads. I'm only trying to block YouTube ads for my Android-based Smart TVs (Sony Bravia X800H).

Diversion doesnt appear to do anything whatsoever beyond eating away at my router's memory. As for the android tv app, Smart YouTube TV (SYT), the issue for me is a few:

1. it is incapable of showing videos higher than 720p
2. the television's remote buttons and links are biased toward the actual YouTube (YT) app and so you'll find yourself in actual YouTube without knowing it -- the in app presentation of SYT is identical to YT making it that much tougher to know which you are using.
3. there is no voice search within SYT.

Besides the above nuisances at least ads do appear blocked within SYT. I'm trying to make things simpler and ad free for an older parent.

I'm aware of YT Premium but c'mon now.

Last edited:
I think many people have tried and there is a switch in diversion to block ads in YouTube that never worked for me. Even a pihole doesn't block ads generally due to the videos coming from the same IP as the ads. It needs something at the client end unfortunately but even then I have heard anecdotal reports of people being banned from their accounts for doing this successfully enough to incur the wrath of Google. YouTube vanced and the like are as good as it gets if your client supports.

about banning and so... the safest way to block ytads is your own DNS-server, it is our lovely Unbound. Unbound have feature to block ytads, but... for yt ads google use dns names like this: r9.sn-3c27sn7d.googlevideo.com. now i have 1200 records in black list (for about 3 months) and its not the end;) its block about 60-70% of ads. summary - or google have about 2 000 - 3 000 domain names and pays for them (we can reach all of them, its time question), or google generate it domain name each time and so question, how much he pay for this, in year for example)

login in router SSH, then amtm and there item 7

Thanks, ahyr
login in router SSH, then amtm and there item 7
Thanks. Got it installed. It's saying YouTube Video Ad Domains = 15. Holy, yours is over 2000 domains?! To save me months is there any way to import your copy of domains?

Last edited:
I believe the only effective way to block ads, especially App ads, is proxy all the http/https traffic through the ad blocking software.

This creates two problems: Firstly you will need a self signed certificate for all your end devices. Secondly, this process is extremely CPU intensive.

I know there is one Chinese ad blocking filter for Merlin. It works for https but very very CPU intensive. I tried on my AX86U and all four cores can easily go up to 30-50% so I simply give up. I think the best solution for ad filtering is adding a powerful x86/64 based soft router after your hardware router, specifically running ad filtering software for your whole network to achieve good result.

not router or for all dvices, but Vivaldi browse on PC blocks you-tube adds... you do get a blank screen with skip add button , but i video adds are all but gone ...

because router this is your DNS-Server (Unbound), so for all devices

Last edited:
because router this is your DENS-Server (Unbound), so for all devices
DNS based ad blocking will not block embedded ads, or any ad not using custom DNS, so basically all Apps including Youtube App and TV Apps.

The only effective way to block is using man in the middle (MITM) proxy acting as an ad filter.

Last edited:
of course, but Unbound have adblock too, and with Unbound don't need too much router resources. also Unbound like DNS-Server is about security too

of course, but Unbound have adblock too, and with Unbound don't need too much router resources. also Unbound like DNS-Server is about security too
I think OP wanted something to block app ads like Youtube app, as far as I know this type of program doesn't block ads on Youtube app.

sorry if i misunderstood, but Unbound have two adblockers: item 5 Ad and Tracker blocker and 8 YouTube Ad blocker

sorry if i misunderstood, but Unbound have to adblockers: item 5 Ad and Tracker blocker and 8 YouTube Ad blocker
Sorry I actually don't use this particular program. Maybe I was wrong and it works on Youtube App. If it works please let me know.

Note blocking Youtube webpage ads and blocking Youtube App ads are totally different.

SSH to router, then 7 item - to install Unbound and then type consistently 5, 6, 7, 8 and try yourself about 2-3 days
1617974288618.png

SSH to router, then 7 item - to install Unbound and then type consistently 5, 6, 7, 8 and try yourself about 2-3 days
View attachment 32987
I'm not home right now so I can't actually try it right away. As far as I know you will definitely need https MITM inspection to filter app ads. I will be really glad if I am proven wrong.

For the past year or 2, I have tried all of the methods which have been socialized so far.

You guys may not want to hear this, but there is only 1 method which has a 100% success rate in preventing ads from being shown on YouTube videos - subscribing to YouTube Premium.

i agree with you, but it's too much easy)