What's new

Is TOTAL YouTube ad blocking possible at the router level?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

road hazard

Regular Contributor
I know that YouTube ads can be completely blocked with aps like Mikoto on jail-broken iDevices. I know you can stop YouTube ads with UBlock Origin and ABP on browsers. I know you can use YouTube Vanced on Android devices to eliminate ads.

How exactly are all those apps blocking YouTube ads and why doesn't somebody make a product that can be scaled up to do the same for an entire home network? I've asked on practically every forum imaginable and maybe out of fear of Google or fear of their devs finding a weak point, nobody wants to address that fundamental question.

Mikoto. It was some simple Cydia app I installed once, 3 or so years ago, and it works perfectly at blocking YouTube ads. I never updated it. How was a simple iOS add-in able to do this?

Is it possible to scale whatever Mikoto, UBlock, etc. up so it covers an entire home network and blocks all YT ads on every device? Researching that question lead me here. I see talk about Pixel and Skynet running on Asuswrt-Merlin..... is this the solution I'm looking for? How effective is this combo?

Right now, I have two Asus RT-AC1900P routers working in AI Mesh mode. Using the latest factory firmware version. I'm totally fine with ripping that off and installing Asuswrt-Merlin (and even making a financial contribution) if I can eliminate YT ads on my entire home network.

To those of you already using this setup, are YT ads a thing of the past?

I know that YouTube ads can be completely blocked with aps like Mikoto on jail-broken iDevices. I know you can stop YouTube ads with UBlock Origin and ABP on browsers. I know you can use YouTube Vanced on Android devices to eliminate ads.

How exactly are all those apps blocking YouTube ads and why doesn't somebody make a product that can be scaled up to do the same for an entire home network? I've asked on practically every forum imaginable and maybe out of fear of Google or fear of their devs finding a weak point, nobody wants to address that fundamental question.

Mikoto. It was some simple Cydia app I installed once, 3 or so years ago, and it works perfectly at blocking YouTube ads. I never updated it. How was a simple iOS add-in able to do this?

Is it possible to scale whatever Mikoto, UBlock, etc. up so it covers an entire home network and blocks all YT ads on every device? Researching that question lead me here. I see talk about Pixel and Skynet running on Asuswrt-Merlin..... is this the solution I'm looking for? How effective is this combo?

Right now, I have two Asus RT-AC1900P routers working in AI Mesh mode. Using the latest factory firmware version. I'm totally fine with ripping that off and installing Asuswrt-Merlin (and even making a financial contribution) if I can eliminate YT ads on my entire home network.

To those of you already using this setup, are YT ads a thing of the past?

Privacy Pro SmartVPN by Disconnect
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/privacy-pro-smartvpn/id1057771839?mt=8