What's new

Enabling AiProtection or QoS on ASUS RT-AX58U breaks everything

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For me it basically becomes a total failure. IPTV just goes dead entirely and WiFi on all devices starts dropping down basically in 1 minute intervals or something. Laptop that otherwise has perfect WiFi connection was losing it constantly so I had to quickly find a window where it worked to login to router with it and turn that crap off. After that, instantly everything went back to normal. Logs don't seem to show anything particularly catastrophic or just stacks of warnings or errors...

For me it basically becomes a total failure. IPTV just goes dead entirely and WiFi on all devices starts dropping down basically in 1 minute intervals or something. Laptop that otherwise has perfect WiFi connection was losing it constantly so I had to quickly find a window where it worked to login to router with it and turn that crap off. After that, instantly everything went back to normal. Logs don't seem to show anything particularly catastrophic or just stacks of warnings or errors...

If you are going to keep the router, it sounds like you will have to not use some of it and hope the next firmware release will make it whole again.

OE

Your best bet would be to try a new router - either exchange the one you have, or buy a new one, and send the old one back as defective if the new one resolves the problems. I use AIProtection without issues (different ASUS router model than yours).

If you have the exact same problems with a brand new router, then it's more likely a complicated firmware problem. In that case, I'd open a case with ASUS. You can use the "Administration" area of your router settings (ASUSWRT official firmware), click on the "Feedback" tab, and check those checkboxes so that your system log, etc. is sent to ASUS for troubleshooting. I'd also open up a case with ASUS online. With most the world locked up in their houses and people working remotely, it may take longer for cases to be resolved.

Last edited:
I have a RT-AX58U and have used both smart connect and Aiprotection without any issues. Stock & 814.6 beta. It is possible you have a bad router?

How on earth can it be defective in such a bizarre way? Software feature breaking it on a hardware level, but only for me and no one else. Weird. I'll try one more thing without IPTV settings to see if it affects WiFi the same way. Coz that IPTV is probably the only thing specific to my setup that probably no one else uses. But if IPTV kills things to such extent, wtf ASUS...

How on earth can it be defective in such a bizarre way? Software feature breaking it on a hardware level, but only for me and no one else. Weird. I'll try one more thing without IPTV settings to see if it affects WiFi the same way. Coz that IPTV is probably the only thing specific to my setup that probably no one else uses. But if IPTV kills things to such extent, wtf ASUS...

How on earth is whining about it going to fix it?

OE

For the described sympthoms, you can still have a software or hardware error. Imagine for instance that you have a corrupted nvram configuration due to flakey flash that affects just a few bytes of it that happen to be used when trendmicro is activated, or something similar. It could be also an 'only software/firmware thing' that depends on some specific combination of settings that are not that common. The only safe assumption is that others get this function running succesfully, so it is not a generally reproduceable failure of this router model.

What I would do before returning any hardware is to do a full reset with a known working firmware version and a *minimum* of changes from the default values (yes, also initially including disable of your IPTV settings) and try to migrate the firmware version from there (if not yet at that one already) and then one by one, apply the config changes you need one by one.

How on earth is whining about it going to fix it?

OE

And how will sending it back? I'll waste time sending it back and forth just to be:
a) without a router the entire time
b) get new one with exactly the same problem

:rolleyes:

@FTC
After further digging, I've found out the following.

I can either use AiProtection/QoS without IPTV or IPTV without AiProtection/QoS. Using any combination of both and whole thing just s**ts itself to death. I always had IPTV enabled because that is an absolute must, otherwise I have no purpose in even using router. Didn't expect something that's an absolute necessity to be causing problems.

Which explains why no one else is complaining about it. How many people even use AiProtection/QoS which are both disabled by default and further, how many of those use IPTV to route TV signal through the router to the TV box. It's annoying as F though since all this worked no problem on RT-AC87U. Must be something with chipset since this one uses different one and thus also different software parts. Merlin could probably fix it, but I don't know how much access he has to the closed source parts that connect to everything else, in this case AiProtection/QoS and IPTV. First are closed, IPTV is probably open.

Restored stock FW and reset everything several times and now I guess it's time to bitch at ASUS to look into it and fix it.

Why ask for help at all, people have offered advice, checked their routers, told you they have no problem using AiProtection or QOS .

As you say , nobody else has the issue so the only rational choice is to return the router.

And how will sending it back? I'll waste time sending it back and forth just to be:
a) without a router the entire time
b) get new one with exactly the same problem

Nobody likes performing an RMA or exchange. But it does address the matter and it is a necessary part of troubleshooting after you've performed the other necessary parts of troubleshooting. You have to take it on and see it to completion, or just give up and get a different router. Either way, pissing and moaning about it is an unnecessary distraction that does not get it done.

OE

Why ask for help at all, people have offered advice, checked their routers, told you they have no problem using AiProtection or QOS .

As you say , nobody else has the issue so the only rational choice is to return the router.

"No one else". That's a stretch...

Also, I often post "help" requests even if no one really helps me with anything, helps my train of thoughts and I often get ideas that I possibly wouldn't otherwise.

@FTC
After further digging, I've found out the following.

I can either use AiProtection/QoS without IPTV or IPTV without AiProtection/QoS. Using any combination of both and whole thing just s**ts itself to death. I always had IPTV enabled because that is an absolute must, otherwise I have no purpose in even using router. Didn't expect something that's an absolute necessity to be causing problems.

Which explains why no one else is complaining about it. How many people even use AiProtection/QoS which are both disabled by default and further, how many of those use IPTV to route TV signal through the router to the TV box. It's annoying as F though since all this worked no problem on RT-AC87U. Must be something with chipset since this one uses different one and thus also different software parts. Merlin could probably fix it, but I don't know how much access he has to the closed source parts that connect to everything else, in this case AiProtection/QoS and IPTV. First are closed, IPTV is probably open.

Restored stock FW and reset everything several times and now I guess it's time to bitch at ASUS to look into it and fix it.

Well, now this is indicative that you most probably do not have a configuration corruption nor a hardware problem, but a compatibility issue between IPTV and Trendmicro. It can be either in the routing itself or maybe because of the multicast traffic that IPTV normally adds to the network. So I am affraid at this time that you will have to ask for ASUS support by opening a ticket.

By the way, what IPTV profile are you using ? or you are configuring it manually / with scripts ? If the second, time to check the scripts also.

The IPTV I'm using is not using Multicast. That's as much as I know. I don't know specifics what type it is beyond that. I have to manually configure Port 4 to VID 2000 in order to get signal through.

Cant see your problem!
You still have your old and trusty and even still supported 87U, so much better than many others without internet during RMA.

If the returned router works correct be happy, otherwise return and get your money back.

The IPTV I'm using is not using Multicast. That's as much as I know. I don't know specifics what type it is beyond that. I have to manually configure Port 4 to VID 2000 in order to get signal through.

OK, so you are using 'Manual setting' and configuring Port 4 to VID 2000 in the LAN->IPTV administrator's panel IPTV page. It is possible that you configured this originally through the initial 'quick internet setup' procedure and missed the 'internet' VID setting?. In any case, I would check the list of available profiles, just in case the one you need is natively supported (since they are named after the service providers name it will be easy to recognize), and in any case if you still have to keep it 'manual', verify the 'internet' VID mapping (don't tell me what is the correct value , this should be provided by your ISP also).

Is it possible that you post here your LAN-IPTV configuration screen ?

No, it's impossible to "miss" it because TV will not work without entering value "2000" into the LAN4 field on IPTV page. The instruction came from my ISP technician. My provider is not on the list as it's relatively unknown globally speaking (outside of my country).

No, it's impossible to "miss" it because TV will not work without entering value "2000" into the LAN4 field on IPTV page. The instruction came from my ISP technician. My provider is not on the list as it's relatively unknown globally speaking (outside of my country).
I was not talking about the 'Lan4' field, but the 'Internet' field that appears just above when you select 'manual' profile. This is the VLAN ID for the rest of the internet services.

If you can budget buying another AX58U, order a new one (while hanging onto your current AX58U), and replace it with the new one once it arrives in the mail. If the new router resolves your problem, return the old AX58U for a refund (as long as it's within the refund time frame).

I was not talking about the 'Lan4' field, but the 'Internet' field that appears just above when you select 'manual' profile. This is the VLAN ID for the rest of the internet services.

That was never needed on RT-AC87U and neither ISP tech mentioned it I'd need it...