What's new

Enabling DHCP auth options 60 and 61 on Netgear Voxel Routers for Sky UK etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Charles

Occasional Visitor
As requested for the R7800. It can be applied to other Netgear routers that don't normally support DHCP auth in stock firmware, by enabling SSH access with Voxel's firmware.

1) Enable SSH as per Voxel's instructions and log in with a tool like PuTTY or WinSCP.

2) Backup your original /etc/init.d/net-wan file.

3) For R7800, edit lines 116 and 118 of net-wan (line numbers may differ slightly depending on FW version) to:

Code:
udhcpc -b -i $WAN_IF -r $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_ipaddr) -N $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_oldip) ${u_wan_domain:+-d $u_wan_domain} -c "user1234@skydsl|abcdefgh" -V "2.02.1861.R|001|ER115|B1234567890123" &

Code:
udhcpc -b -i $WAN_IF -r $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_ipaddr) -N $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_oldip) ${u_wan_domain:+-d $u_wan_domain} -c "user1234@skydsl|abcdefgh" -V "2.02.1861.R|001|ER115|B1234567890123"

Depending on what extent you want to emulate your Sky router, you can use your own extracted client info, vendor info, and its MAC in the next step.

4) Spoof the MAC if you want to, in the Router UI:
Advanced -> Internet Setup -> Router MAC address

5) Note: the net-wan modification will need to be repeated when you update the router firmware. For a cleaner solution, you could implement a script to make the changes at boot time.

6) Reboot.

Backup your original /etc/init.d/net-wan file.

In general original is available always: /rom/etc/init.d/net-wan

Note: the net-wan modification will need to be repeated when you update the router firmware. For a cleaner solution, you could implement a script to make the changes at boot time.

It is better to have a backup in tarball stored on external USB flash. Example:

Save your changes, i.e. net-wan and ssh settings (once):

cd /
tar cf /mnt/sda1/backup.tar etc/init.d/net-wan root/.ssh

Restore saved changes after every update of firmware enabling and using telnet:

cd /
tar xf /mnt/sda1/backup.tar
reboot

Voxel.

Thanks for the tip Voxel, this will save a lot of time when updating firmware, especially across multiple routers!

And assuming I could enable telnet on a R7000 stock firmware, would it be possible to add option 60/61 ?

Thanks.

Is there a way to edit /etc/init.d/net-wan for a R7000 with stock firmware (I've got telnet working) ?

The attachment shows what I get when I type /etc/init.d/net-wan in the command console.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 891
Is there a way to edit /etc/init.d/net-wan for a R7000 with stock firmware (I've got telnet working) ?

The attachment shows what I get when I type /etc/init.d/net-wan in the command console.

Thanks.
Hi there,

did you figure this out?

I'm not sure if editing the file is possible with telnet, and that ssh needs to be used instead, which looks quite difficult

Thanks

so did you use ssh with DD-WRT?

What were you trying to do?

I want to use Sky on my R7800 with Voxel rather than DD-WRT.

SSH seems simple with DD-WRT, but I can't work out how to enable SSH on Voxel - I'm starting to think I need a linux machine in order to generate and copy the keys

Hello, I come to you to have some information I am a French user at home I have to fill it "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy" if I understood correctly it is the option 60 with us so that the router obtains an address internet I have to edit the lines as well?

udhcpc -b -i $WAN_IF -r $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_ipaddr) -N $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_oldip) ${u_wan_domain:+-d $u_wan_domain} -c "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy" -V "2.02.1861.R|001|ER115|B1234567890123" &

udhcpc -b -i $WAN_IF -r $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_ipaddr) -N $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_oldip) ${u_wan_domain:+-d $u_wan_domain} -c "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy" -V "2.02.1861.R|001|ER115|B1234567890123"

thank you in advance for your help

Hello, I come to you to have some information I am a French user at home I have to fill it "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy" if I understood correctly it is the option 60 with us so that the router obtains an address internet I have to edit the lines as well?
udhcpc -b -i $WAN_IF -r $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_ipaddr) -N $($CONFIG get wan_dhcp_oldip) ${u_wan_domain:+-d $u_wan_domain} -c "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy" -V "2.02.1861.R|001|ER115|B1234567890123"

No... To me it seems like that is the Vendor ID, i.e. the -V part, not the -c part:
-V "neufbox_NB6V-MAIN-xxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyy"

The -c part should be your Client ID/password (option 61).

Does this technique still work? Does anyone have the scripts to run to get it working?

How do you back up the /etc/init.d/net-wan file? How do you edit the file afterwards?? I would love to keep using voxels firmware but all these bits get complicated to the untechnical minded. Lol

I made an add-on for this long time ago,
but i never got anyone to test it.

I'm away from home now and can not do anything now,
but when i get back I can give you the add-on for testing -
If you are still interested.

The instructions above are basically still correct, but Netgear has changed the net-wan file since then.
So these instructions must be updated for the latest Netgear and Voxel releases.

Yes I'll give it a try, I don't change service until 10th Feb so there's no rush... At the minute it's just normal pppoe connection.

I would love to keep using voxels firmware but all these bits get complicated to the untechnical minded. Lol
I am sorry. But this build is really a bit over complicated if you want something more from your router. It is because of lacking source codes from NG for WebGUI processor... They (NG) do not want to deal with me unfortunately.

In general how to backup your settings is described here above:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/e...xel-routers-for-sky-uk-etc.41720/#post-353344

Voxel.

Is there a 'search' function which would allow me to locate the path of 'net-wan' file ? I'd like to locate that file in my R7000 too...

R7000 is Broadcom. Different scheme as far as I understand... I am not sure that net-wan could be corrected on R7000.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!