What's new

Solved Error message: Licenses haven't been accepted previously

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amortimer

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I did a fresh reconfig of my router, an RT-AX86U on Merlin 386.3, after a factory reset but cannot seem to get spdMerlin running automatically.

Am seeing the following spdMerlin errors in my logs:
Aug 4 10:07:52 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses haven't been accepted previously, nothing to load
Aug 4 10:08:02 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses haven't been accepted previously, nothing to load
Aug 4 10:08:15 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses not accepted, stopping
Aug 4 10:08:24 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses haven't been accepted previously, nothing to load
Aug 4 10:08:27 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses haven't been accepted previously, nothing to load
Aug 4 10:08:45 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses not accepted, stopping
Aug 4 10:08:45 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage
Aug 4 10:08:45 cerberus spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Aug 4 10:09:08 cerberus spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 938.32 Mbps (data used: 703.7 MB) - Upload: 938.07 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)
Aug 4 10:09:08 cerberus spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 1.61 ms (0.12 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%
Aug 4 10:09:08 cerberus spdMerlin: Retrieving data for WebUI charts
Aug 4 10:11:51 cerberus spdMerlin: Licenses haven't been accepted previously, nothing to load
Aug 4 10:11:51 cerberus spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Aug 4 10:12:01 cerberus spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 10 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Aug 4 10:12:14 cerberus spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 933.17 Mbps (data used: 675.7 MB) - Upload: 938.39 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)
Aug 4 10:12:14 cerberus spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 2.11 ms (0.20 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%
Aug 4 10:12:14 cerberus spdMerlin: Retrieving data for WebUI charts

I checked /root/.config/ookla and the speedtest-cli.json file seems to be present.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Did you use an old backup config file after you did a full reset? Did you plug in the USB drive into the router without formatting it on a computer first?

Did you use an old backup config file after you did a full reset? Did you plug in the USB drive into the router without formatting it on a computer first?
Thanks for reply.

Everything started from fresh. even the drive was reformatted clean.
Details in my memory are vague but I think I did not do an initial run Option 1 (Run a speedtest now) in the spdMerlin cli UI before I started configuring it. When I finished configuring, and did run the test, there were some initial prompts about licensing which I tried responding with "y", "Y", "yes", "accept" etc. Tests run manually now but with a licensing error message.

I'm going to try removing the speedtest-cli.json file as well as config files in the spdMerlin.d directories and start over again.

Last edited:
Update - not exactly sure what went wrong and what I did to cause it to begin with.. but after posting the initial query and seeing L&LD's response, I tried removing the speedtest-cli.json and config files etc w/o much success..

so I decided to take the path of least resistance and went ahead with uninstalling spdMerlin via amtm and restarted the router. Made sure I was extra paranoid and checked all known locations to make sure all vestiges were removed and even checked the messages log to make sure it was clean of spdMerlin messages or processes. I added spdMerlin again and made sure I ran the test FIRST before all else.

Sigh.. No errors. Problem went away. so I guess you could say it was solved. Think I'm reverting to noob ways as I advance in age.

Thanks, L&LD for the attention and question.

Ahh, thanks. so i wasn't losing my sanity or doing something stupid as well. Good to know that.

The curious thing is the license message thingamabob not happening if I remove everything completely, do the install again, accept and run the initial test first.

Ah well.

Ahh, thanks. so i wasn't losing my sanity or doing something stupid as well. Good to know that.

The curious thing is the license message thingamabob not happening if I remove everything completely, do the install again, accept and run the initial test first.

Ah well.
this is all academic now, as spdMerlin has been patched... see here, v 4.4.0 just released a few hours ago...

however, it's not curious at all - there were vestiges of some 'config-or-another' laying around (I never bothered to look for it) that eventually allowed the license to be accepted if you smacked the ax86 hard enough... pure luck if you stumbled upon the method... another case of playing 'fool the hardware/machine', indirectly...

but, it was absolutely reproducible on any ax86u after a full reset and wax-on/wax-off rebuild... I tested it on three different ax86u units... like I said, it is of no matter now - as it's been patched in v 4.4.0...

to date I've found three or four buggy things that ax86 units unexpectedly do, which its closest previous cousin, the ax88, handles perfectly well... go figure... pick your toy and pray...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!