What's new

ET12 connection to Frontier ONT fiber (500Mbps Up/Down) issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StickyRice

New Around Here
I could use some help troubleshooting my routers connection to my Frontier (formerly Verizon) ONT fiber box. Let me give you some background info. I have had my ISP's fiber service since 2006 and I have always used my own router. I upgraded to 500Mbps up/down in October of last year. The router I am using is an Asus RT-AC87U which I have had since 2014 and is currently using the last Merlin firmware released for it (384.13_10). When I upgraded from my ISP's 100Mbps up/down to my current 500Mbps service I had no issues. I get over 450Mbps up and down when performing a speed test at the speed test site. Before hooking up my new router I turned of the internet connection of the old router in order to release the IP and proceeded to hook up my new router. Although it comes with 2 nodes I opted to just hook up 1 in order to make sure I didn't run into any surprises. After hooking up the ET12 directly to my ONT, like my previous router was, and setting everything up I ran a speed test. I am getting over 500Mbps down but I am only getting about 2Mbps up. This is consistent no matter which node I use. I performed a factory reset several different times and started over from the beginning only to end up with the same results. I made sure AI protection and QoS were off and the router is not going through a VPN. I run the speed test using my laptop wired and wireless. No matter what I do I get less than 2Mbps upload speed when using the ET12.

As a test I decided to disconnect the ET12 and re-hookup the AC87U. Once it was back up I performed a speed test and was back to 450+Mbps up/down. I then ran a connection from that router to the WAN port on the ET12 and when I run a speed test with either a wired or wireless connection to it from my latptop and I get 450+Mbps up/down.

I called my ISP and they did not see any issues on their end. Since I don't use their router they were not able to run a remote diagnostic but since my AC87U gets full speed I ruled out my ISP.

I contacted ASUS support and filled them in on the issue and after a lot of back and forth with them asking for and me sending syslogs and cfg files the only thing they can think of is that it is a hardware issue. I by no means claim to know more about their product then they do but I gotta believe that since I can get full speed from the ET12 when connected to my AC87U that it has to be a software issue of sorts.
I would like to know if there are any advanced troubleshooting techniques I can use to gather additional information before I send the ET12's in for RMA service.
I appreciate any help any of you may be able to provide.

Make a note of the AC87U's WAN MAC address. Put that into the ET12's "MAC Address" field at WAN - Internet Connection.

Thanks for the advice. Here is what I did:
I turned off the internet for my AC87U and shut it down. I also turned off the internet on the ET12. I went to the WAN Internet Connection page and added the MAC address of the AC87U and hit the apply button at the bottom of the page. After it refreshed I turned on the internet connection and rebooted it. After it came up I ran a speed test at the website and a speed test using the internal speed test app under Adaptive QoS>Internet Speed. If you are able to see the attached files you will see that cloning the MAC address of the other router did NOT work.

Attachments

• speedtest_ET12_clone_MAC.PNG
    speedtest_ET12_clone_MAC.PNG
    105.3 KB · Views: 92
  • ET12_router_speed test.PNG
    ET12_router_speed test.PNG
    232.8 KB · Views: 91
OK. Thanks for the update. It was worth a try.

It's strange that it works fine with the AC87U between it and the ONT, but not with the AC87U removed. I can't help but feel that if you RMA it Asus will find nothing wrong with it.

It's a bit of a long shot but you could try changing the "Extend the TTL value" and "Spoof LAN TTL value" settings on the WAN - Internet Connection page.

Also, https://forums.att.com/conversation...y-slow-upload-speeds/60efc46966c7636aabe49490

Last edited:
The changes you suggested did not work either. I first turned on Extend the TTL and got the same results during the speedtest. I tried enabling each one separately and testing and then tried enabling both at the same time and testing. Same results. Since it was getting late I did not try connecting the router to the ONT with a new network cable. I may try that tomorrow after work.
However, I did try some other changes. When I first engaged with ASUS tech support they always wanted me to make sure that Ai Protection and QoS were off. So I decided to do the opposite and turned on QoS. I first tried using the Adaptive setting and either automatic or manual gave me the same poor results but when I changed it Traditional QoS and set my upload/download to 525Mbps I actually got much better results. Download was anywhere from 400-500Mbps depending on what I set it to and upload actually went up as high as 400Mbps. What is weird is that when I used the speed Test app on the router it never went high than 104Mbps. I am going to update my ticket with ASUS and see if that helps them figure it out. I would imagine with this new information I would like to believe they wont think it is a hardware issue.
If there was a Merlin firmware for the ET12 I bet that would fix it.
Thanks again or your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!