What's new

Ethernet Cable Not Detected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shaikhisa39

Occasional Visitor
Hii Every One Good Morning .. i am facing problem hear if any one can help me .. My Ethernet Cable is not getting detected by my laptop Via Router I am using Netgear R7800 router .. and from same lan port when i try to connect to my desktop it get connected .. tried every possible way which i knw rest network adapter tried installing and uninstall of network adapter .. clear dns tried running command for netsh .. tried to connect via different lan port but the same problem it shows that lan cable not connected or its broken but as i mentioned it gets connected to the desktop very easily as i have buy a new cat6 cable so ther is no chance of that the cable is broken or faulty .. and if u think my laptop motherboard is faulty that's also not a case because when i tried to connect it via direct connection provided by my isp provider direct lan cable which is not plugged in router it get connected .. so if anyone can help me on this .. Thanks

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

use only one cable for testing. What operating system ?
What do the lights on the router lan port show when you connect the laptop to it ? Do same for the pc.
What do the lights on the laptop lan port show ?, do same for the pc.
Connect the laptop to the isp device port. What do the lights show on the isp device and the laptop ?

That will give you an idea if the laptop is making a physical connection and should show if 100 mbit or 1000 mbit link rate.

the router manual and the laptop manual should tell you how to interpret the lights.

No when i connect to my laptop it doesn't light uo on yhe router but when i get connected to my desktop it light up and alow me to use the internet its the only problem i am facing when i m connecting to my laptop

Then it is not making a physical connection.
When you take the same cable and connect the laptop to the isp device, what do the lights show ?

Windows => Control Panel => Network Settings => Ethernet => Network Connections => LAN Connection => Diagnose?

Then it is not making a physical connection.
When you take the same cable and connect the laptop to the isp device, what do the lights show ?
Yes it's not making physical connection .. so is there any solution for this .. bcz when i connect it to laptop with router the router light doesn't blink up

Yes it says that network cable is not properly plugdin or may be broken
Lucky for me I've a great (read affordable!) computer repair shop just down the street. In lieu of that WiFi or a USB to Ethernet dongle?

EDIT: Dummy me. I missed the part where you said it worked when connected to ISP equipment. Perhaps set the NIC to fixed 100 or something rather than auto-negotiate?

Last edited:
When you take the same cable and connect the laptop to the isp device as mentioned in your original post, what do the lights show ?

In the original post you said that it worked, but it was not clear if you were using a different cable.

When you take the same cable and connect the laptop to the isp device as mentioned in your original post, what do the lights show ?

In the original post you said that it worked, but it was not clear if you were using a different cable.
Ok got it no that's a different cable it shows white light

Ok so see hear the one which i marked with red that's a different cable i m getting connected through the internet on my laptop from that cable and the one which i marked with yellow i m not getting connected its a 20M long cat 6 wire .. and on the same wire which i marked with yellow is connecting to my desktop but not on laptop and the black wire which is there is my isp wire from which i m getting internet i hope u understand so i m not able to identify what's the problem .. the resion y i m on it is the place the yellow mark wire is my work place so i need an internet connectivity there via wired connection and from the red marked one when i get connected it shows me the orange light as u can see
ab7fa87d1ce627d688054550c33ccfc7.jpg

4318aaac253e9ba897330176961dd735.jpg
ede9cce27e82c559f650a9a83e69e66a.jpg

That grey cable marked red is not a good cable. It has too much wire out from the plug. It needs to be replaced. The black cable marked blue also.

You would be OK if you were doing 10 meg. They are bad for a 100 or a 1000 meg.

show us a picture of your laptop ethernet port.
i wonder if the cat6 cable is not able to fully insert.
The other thing you can try is if you have an unmanaged switch 5 or 8 port, plug it into the other end of the cat6 cable in your work area. Then plug a cable into that from your laptop to the small switch.

show us a picture of your laptop ethernet port.
i wonder if the cat6 cable is not able to fully insert.
The other thing you can try is if you have an unmanaged switch 5 or 8 port, plug it into the other end of the cat6 cable in your work area. Then plug a cable into that from your laptop to the small switch.
I have tried all of the port

Not the Netgear router lan ports, but a separate switch on the other end of the cat6 cable. Then, use another cat5e cable to connect from that switch to the laptop.

if the laptop port works when plugged into the marked red cable and also when plugged into the blue marked cable, then you may have a failing cable termination or wire on the cat6 cable that shows up when it is moved to plug into the laptop. .

did the laptop work on that cat6 cable before ?

If so, what changed just before it stopped working ?

Not the Netgear router lan ports, but a separate switch on the other end of the cat6 cable. Then, use another cat5e cable to connect from that switch to the laptop.

if the laptop port works when plugged into the marked red cable and also when plugged into the blue marked cable, then you may have a failing cable termination or wire on the cat6 cable that shows up when it is moved to plug into the laptop. .

did the laptop work on that cat6 cable before ?

If so, what changed just before it stopped working ?
Yes it was working on cat 6 before.. i had done nothing changes

How are you set up to accept windows updates ? auto ?

when was the last one ?
was that about when this stopped working ?
if so, can you roll back ?

the other thing to look at is device manager - anything broken ?

Just to prove out that it is not a hardware issue but a driver/os issue, can you get a linux distribution, maybe Ubuntu, on a bootable USB or DVD drive and do a trial (not install) and see if it connects across the cat6 cable.

i have seen some weird circumstances before where the nic would not autonegotiate the link rate correctly. placing a 5 port gigabit switch in between solved the issue. You can also try forcing the laptop nic to only use 100 mbit and see if that corrects it.

How are you set up to accept windows updates ? auto ?

when was the last one ?
was that about when this stopped working ?
if so, can you roll back ?

the other thing to look at is device manager - anything broken ?

Just to prove out that it is not a hardware issue but a driver/os issue, can you get a linux distribution, maybe Ubuntu, on a bootable USB or DVD drive and do a trial (not install) and see if it connects across the cat6 cable.

i have seen some weird circumstances before where the nic would not autonegotiate the link rate correctly. placing a 5 port gigabit switch in between solved the issue. You can also try forcing the laptop nic to only use 100 mbit and see if that corrects it.
Ok sure will do that fir will try with Linux