What's new

Evaluating FreeNAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

travist

Occasional Visitor
So I've been evaluating FreeNAS in a VirtualBox virtual machine with three 1G disks mounted in a software RAID 5 array. Real simple setup, and I'm not too concerned with throughput at this point, as I can't get any real number until I can test on my hardware. I am, however, attempting to get familiar with the interface a little, and so far I like it.

Some concerns I have -

The UFS file system is the recommended system. Are there any benefits to using this file system as opposed to NTFS, ZFS, etc?

Although I managed to get Windows domain permissions to work, it was a little round-about. I would like something that is a little more streamlined, but I can live with it like it is.

The other thing that upset me, was the fact that the bittorrent watch folder doesn't seem to work. Initially when planning this server, I hadn't even considered a BT server, but I really like the idea of it after playing around with it some. Does anyone have the watch folder working correctly? I did see a few cron job scripts that were posted but looked like you had to input your user:password in plain text, and I'm not sure how secure this would be.

My goals are to run I plan to experiment with some of the other OS's out there before making my decision. If anyone has any suggestions, please offer them up!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!