What's new

Has Killswitch Been 100% Fixed for 2024?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mykdrocks

Occasional Visitor
First things first, a big thanks for a great firmware (any help help provided below)!

I have the custom Asuswrt-Merlin installed on my ASUS VPN router. I have it configured with my OpenVPN, and the killswitch setting active (with the intent that if anything happens with the VPN, it immediately kills the connection to any attached devices). It's always worked great, until a few months ago. I always check my IP address at first boot, to make sure it's the one assigned by the VPN before browsing. This router is only connected when needed, and is stored when not in use (which can be a few weeks to a month between uses). On last boot, I was surprised to find my home IP was reading on my connected device, instead of the usual IP provided by my VPN (and I checked the killswitch setting, which was still on).

I've been reading through the forums, and this seems to be a know issue, so was just wondering if a fix in the more recent updates have been implemented. I'm not sure which version I'm running, but it's at least a year old (based on when I know I set it up, and haven't touched it since). I've always relied with 100% certainty that the killswitch will shield my real IP, but this recent "leak" has me re-evaluating my setup. I'm not seeing in any recent forums posts that this has been fixed to a certainty, so would love to know more (if possible).

Thanks!

First things first, a big thanks for a great firmware (any help help provided below)!

I have the custom Asuswrt-Merlin installed on my ASUS VPN router. I have it configured with my OpenVPN, and the killswitch setting active (with the intent that if anything happens with the VPN, it immediately kills the connection to any attached devices). It's always worked great, until a few months ago. I always check my IP address at first boot, to make sure it's the one assigned by the VPN before browsing. This router is only connected when needed, and is stored when not in use (which can be a few weeks to a month between uses). On last boot, I was surprised to find my home IP was reading on my connected device, instead of the usual IP provided by my VPN (and I checked the killswitch setting, which was still on).

I've been reading through the forums, and this seems to be a know issue, so was just wondering if a fix in the more recent updates have been implemented. I'm not sure which version I'm running, but it's at least a year old (based on when I know I set it up, and haven't touched it since). I've always relied with 100% certainty that the killswitch will shield my real IP, but this recent "leak" has me re-evaluating my setup. I'm not seeing in any recent forums posts that this has been fixed to a certainty, so would love to know more (if possible).

Thanks!

Short answer is NO - implementation of the kill switch is still the same.

Killmon- ver 1-05 - this is an add on that you can install to improve the functionality.

Longer discussion and explanation

Short answer is NO - implementation of the kill switch is still the same.

Killmon- ver 1-05 - this is an add on that you can install to improve the functionality.

Longer discussion and explanation

Thanks for the reply!

Here's a thought I had. Tell me if it holds water. What if I daisy chained two VPN routers together? The first would be my router running my custom Merlin firmware. The second would be another VPN router with a different firmware (that also has a killswitch). Theoretically, if they both have OpenVPN, I think I could use the same VPN account for both. So wouldn't that be like backing up my killswitch with another killswitch? The flow would be something like this:

Devices > #1 VPN Router with Killswitch (Merlin) > 2nd VPN Router (with Killswitch) > #3 Normal home network router (for internet connection)

Does not hold water.

Does not hold water.
Yeah...honestly I didn't think so either. Just curious.

Thanks for the link about Killmon- ver 1-05. I'm researching it now and how to implement it.

Another quick question. I've been reading every thread I can find on the subject in the forum (and ever page of those threads), and something caught my eye. Some are asking for previous versions of the firmware. Was there a time when this killswitch was programmed differently, and it always worked (or was more reliable) if the VPN connection was severed? Thus preventing the home IP from becoming visible?

Yeah...honestly I didn't think so either. Just curious.

Thanks for the link about Killmon- ver 1-05. I'm researching it now and how to implement it.

Another quick question. I've been reading every thread I can find on the subject in the forum (and ever page of those threads), and something caught my eye. Some are asking for previous versions of the firmware. Was there a time when this killswitch was programmed differently, and it always worked (or was more reliable) if the VPN connection was severed? Thus preventing the home IP from becoming visible?

I think 386.1 was where the implementation was changed to the new one with the introduction of VPN director so anything prior to that firmware release should work “the old way”. running firmware that old is generally not recommended since then there ware a huge number of security fixes in different firmware releases and driver updates. Not to mention just general bug fixes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!