What's new

expanding/replacing AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

morbidz288

New Around Here
Currently have AiMesh setup with RT-AC88U as primary node and an ethernet back-hauled RT-AC1750-B1.
Just purchased RT-AX58U and trying to decide whether to just add it as another node or make it the primary node in the mesh.

If I decide to make AX58U the primary node, do I need to start my AiMesh from scratch?

Last edited:
Tough question on whether to make the AX58U the primary node. It has a much faster processor, but since its only a 2x2 transmit/receive, it may not have quite as good of range as the AC88U. Since you have a mesh setup and don't necessarily need max range, I suggest making the AX58U the primary.

Down the road(once the prices/availability go back to normal) I'm planing to replace AC88U with AX88U. So perhaps redoing the AiMesh and all the FW rules I have setup will wait until then.

While AX58U is running as a node would I be able to get wifi6 benefits or does it have to be the primary?

While AX58U is running as a node would I be able to get wifi6 benefits or does it have to be the primary?

I'm not familiar with the WiFi 6 benefits except that the over-promise under-deliver trend continues, so I would not worry much about WiFi 6 at this time.

OE