What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPSec is similar in performance to WG, and both are faster with less overhead than OpenVPN

IPSEC can also take advantage of hardware crypto engines, which will improve performance while reducing CPU usage on hardware with such dedicated engines, like Broadcom's bmspu on HND.

There was a wireguard update on 13 Sept...Friday 13 Sept...under the full moon...

There was a wireguard update on 13 Sept...Friday 13 Sept...under the full moon...
An update to what? The protocol? One of the platforms? Provider(s)? I don't see anything sticking out to look at...

Go to their git

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. Perhaps an update to post 1 is required.

That’s what I was suggesting.

The Wireguard code for AC86U has not been updated in the first post, but AX88U is still on the codebase of July. Will that also be updated? Is there a tutorial how this can be done for future updates as well?

The Wireguard code for AC86U has not been updated in the first post, but AX88U is still on the codebase of July. Will that also be updated? Is there a tutorial how this can be done for future updates as well?

I'm actually curious about this as well.
Happy to contribute, just not sure how.

I concur. odkrys has not been on for some time. Might have moved on to other endeavors.

If you open the link you will get "wireguard_0.0.20191012-ac_aarch64-3" that's the last release AC86U

Nice to see that the link updates when Wireguard does.

@Odkrys
Hi is there a tutorial to connect site-to-site with wireguard ?
I m using the RT-AC86U as a server .Will like to connect to another site with Wireguard running on Raspberry pi. Is it possible?

One issue I had that that the Wireguard startup on router reboot was interfering with the process of getting a WAN IP from my ISP when booting up the router.
To solve this issue I just added a "sleep 20! command into the S50wireguard file.

Now everytime I need to reboot my router or in case of an power outage, when the router is starting up whe WireGuard script is having a 20 seconds delay from starting.
I was curious if you have had any trouble with the Sleep 20??

Noticed the same but for me the sleep was sometimes enough and sometimes not since I do not have a static ip. So created a script that is being executed at at post-mount to do a restart. Will tweak it a bit better so this is part of S50wireguard instead. But for now it will be like this :)

Also have an equivalent script that I add during service-start
cru a wg "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/wg-watcher.sh"

This is pinging an ip that only is available when running the vpn. And if that does not answer after 3 tries I will run a restart on wg
Were do you place this script? Any luck getting it in the S50wireguard?

Great! I wonder how long it will take to trickle downhill to Asus firmware so Merlin can include it in his? 3-5yrs I’ll wager.

Great! I wonder how long it will take to trickle downhill to Asus firmware so Merlin can include it in his? 3-5yrs I’ll wager.

Likely longer. I have seen RMerlin state a number ot times that ASUS does not update kernels in existing routers. That means new routers will need to be developed with the 5.6 kernel that is not in final release yet, so likely a long time for linux embedded hardware like routers, sadly.

You’re probably right - to the best of my knowledge/understanding, they don’t even have anything on kernel 4.x yet...
But: change happens slowly, but appears suddenly. So I’m gonna stay optimistic.

You’re probably right - to the best of my knowledge/understanding, they don’t even have anything on kernel 4.x yet...
But: change happens slowly, but appears suddenly. So I’m gonna stay optimistic.

My AC86U is on kernel 4.1.27 and I suspect the AX88U is as well.