What's new

Extending existing AC86U mesh without breaking anything

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlindHope

New Around Here
Hi, I've a 1 node mesh with ethernet backhaul between two AC86U's. After some messing with settings roughly this time last year, I have had completely trouble free interneting since.

We are doing a light house refurb and I'm going to put another node up in the to-be-converted attic. My questions are:

- To connect another node via ethernet, does the "new"backhaul to node 2 just come out of yellow ethernet port 2 on my main router?
- Is it likely that the new router is going to "play nice" with my existing set up if it's likely on a different firmware? I strongly believe i have such a resilient set up because ive frozen firmware versions on both boxes to 3.0.0.4.386_51529-g70acb9d . I presume it wouldnt be possible to get that exact firmware on a new box?

Thanks

I would get a better router like RT-AX86U Pro and use the old routers as AiMesh nodes. RT-AC86U is End-Of-Life model now.

Oh interesting I didn't know you could mix and match models. Would that work ok you think?

And am I right on the ethernet? Directing the electrician on how many network ports to factor in what rooms so just want to get mesh wiring clear in my mind

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!