What's new

Extremely slow PPTP download rate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AsusMerlinNoob

New Around Here
Heya, I've been banging my head against every wall to realize what is wrong but I couldn't solve it so I made an account here to see if I can get any expert help.

Here's my issue:
I have an ASUS RT-AC88U router running the latest merlin firmware and my own pptp vpn running on it off of a Centos 7 server.

My usual download speeds without the VPN are around 100-150 Mbps but when running the VPN, my download speeds barely break 1 Mbps...
Upload speeds don't change much, the drop is kind of expected.

I've also tried running the same PPTP server on a D-Link with dd wrt and it runs with speeds that you would expect.

I understand that PPTP is obsolete at this point but I need it for a specific use.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Happy new year!

Last edited:
I can't really follow what you said. Where/what is the VPN client, and where/what is the VPN server. How does the Centos server fit into this, is it running a VPN client or server?

I can't really follow what you said. Where/what is the VPN client, and where/what is the VPN server. How does the Centos server fit into this, is it running a VPN client or server?
Thanks for your reply.
The server is a Centos 7 machine running the pptpd service and the client is my RT-AC88U on the latest merlin.

So the RT-AC88U is at location A, and there is another router at location B that is forwarding the PPTP ports to the Centos server on its LAN. Correct?

So the RT-AC88U is at location A, and there is another router at location B that is forwarding the PPTP ports to the Centos server on its LAN. Correct?
Technically yes, the RT-AC88U is sitting in my home and clients in my home are running off of it and the Centos 7 server is sitting on a cloud machine running the PPTP server.

Can you try a PPTP client simply running on a PC. If you experience the same issue it would indicate that it's a server-side problem.

Sorry, no idea then. But I don't use PPTP myself.

BTW On the Asus there are two places to configure "PPTP", WAN > Internet Connection and VPN > VPN Client. I don't know what the differences are.

WAN is for ISPs that require PPTP to connect to the Internet (mostly a few Russian ISPs), while VPN page is for connecting to a server through your existing Internet connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!