What's new

Fast VPN router 400$

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Groot

New Around Here
Hi. I'm looking for the fastest VPN router within 400 USD price range. I'm using NordVPN. I got 10 devices connected to router but I want only half of them to be routed via VPN. My ISP connection is 100mbps. I know I won't be able to achieve the same speed with VPN but I'm looking for a router that can have the best possible speed in that price range. I'm open for flashing firmware if needed.
I was thinking about ASUS RT-AC5300 with flashed Merlin but maybe anyone have suggestions for a better alternative?
Thanks.

Hi. I'm looking for the fastest VPN router within 400 USD price range. I'm using NordVPN. I got 10 devices connected to router but I want only half of them to be routed via VPN. My ISP connection is 100mbps. I know I won't be able to achieve the same speed with VPN but I'm looking for a router that can have the best possible speed in that price range. I'm open for flashing firmware if needed.
I was thinking about ASUS RT-AC5300 with flashed Merlin but maybe anyone have suggestions for a better alternative?
Thanks.

The ASUS AC86 is available for approx US$190 maybe less if you shop. It will handle VPN client connections at 200 Mbps + depending on your distance from the server. With Merlin's firmware you can set up policy based routing to easily select which clients use the VPN.

The ASUS AC86 is available for approx US$190 maybe less if you shop. It will handle VPN client connections at 200 Mbps + depending on your distance from the server. With Merlin's firmware you can set up policy based routing to easily select which clients use the VPN.
I've got an offer to upgrade my ISP to 1000 Mbps. Is this router still the best option I could get with such connection?

@Groot either the RT-AC86U or the RT-AX88U would be good matches to your new ISP speeds. With the latter better matched to running additional scripts and features/options than the AC model with half the RAM and 2 fewer cores.